10: Her Eyes

I learned my lesson. I am not allowed to interfere or change anything in the novel.

Or else, things will go awry.

Five years ago, due to my interference, I insisted Bai Meili to postpone the trip to Yanyi Temple. As a result, it changed her fate and the people around me.

Bai Meili was supposed to die that year in a carriage accident on her way to Yanyi Temple. That time, I was reckless. Too simple-minded. Too soft-hearted and thought I have save a life.

I didn't know that I traded someone's lives with hers. 'Two innocent lives.'

Due to the fact that she didn't die, two weeks later, when Mingle was caught red handed by stealing a bun, Bai Meili ordered Mingle and her mother to be send to Red District causing them to suicide.

In the novel, after Bai Meili's death, the cruelty to the slaves in the manor has stopped. The pair of mother and daughter don't need to steal a bun because of hunger. Mingle was supposed to lived, meet and soon marry his true love. Her husband-to-be, a nobleman was supposed to free her and her family from slavery and lived her whole life in happiness.

And I.. have taken all that. Her life. Her happiness. Her freedom.

She.. They weren't supposed to die. They're good people. They're good to me.

'Mingle.. I.. really don't know. I.. I'm sorry.'

Bai Meili, witnessing that she didn't change. Still the same unmerciful madam of Bai family. Who likes inflicting brutal punishments to the slaves in the manor. Who enjoys playing with their lives. Who's extravagant, rotten and greedy, made me feel more guilty.

I saw Bai Muro and Bai Meili was having a serious conversation.

And Bai Muro, he's no different.

When they noticed my arrival, they eagerly let me sit with them. They even put some of my favorite dishes on my plate. Then the couple exchanged glances and smiled at each other in harmony.

"Shin'er, after the meal, go and prepare. Wear your most modest and elegant hanfu." Bai Muro said.

"Oh I know, the one that your Aunt Xiu Ying gifted to you on your last birthday. I'm sure you'd look fabulous in that dear." Bai Meili added.

"Oh right, years ago, aren't you already close with the Fourth Prince? I remember that you're so good to him. I'm sure, he feel grateful to your care for those years."

Hearing that, I started to choke on a piece of meat. Luckily Jin'er was quick enough to passed me the cup of water.

In regard to Li Han's outstanding contributions and victories to the empire, the emperor did not only given him the titled 'Nan King', he also rewarded him with two thousand silvers, two hundred horses and a manor in the capital. The emperor even agreed at his request to take his biological mother, Concubine Zhi Ruo out from the Cold Palace after almost ten years of her confinement.

"At present, the Fourth Prince is a strong candidate for the throne and possibly becomes the new emperor. That's why, everyday the Qixiang Palace is now swarming with visitors. Those noble ladies are desperately trying to gain the favor of Concubine Zhi, hoping to be crown as the new empress after Li Han's ascension."

"Li Rui is dead but it won't change anything. Nü ér (*daughter), you shall and should be the new empress."

Jin'er excitedly dressed me up. I can't really blame her. We were restricted to go outside for a whole month. The Bai narrowly avoided to be the subject of people's criticism. They made sure not to be tied up with the downfall of the former crown prince.

'Li Rui.. I'm sorry I couldn't save you.. I..'

Since the day of the execution of Li Rui, the Prime Minister House lost its main support. The Bai Family was treading on thin ice and and currently at a very disadvantage position where at any time, their enemies might push them so they can slip and fall, never allowed to rise again.

The clutches of greed and power hunger were the Bai's innate characters. They were abusive, arrogant and cruel. They won't stop at nothing to gain profit.

"Greetings to esteemed imperial concubine." I saluted.

"Children grow so fast. In such a short time, Lady Bai have grown into a beautiful young lady."

Concubine Zhi signaled me to sit beside her. Ignoring the reproachful and jealous eyes of other noble ladies, I obliged to the concubine's request.

Concubine Zhi was the most majestic woman I've met in this era. No wonder, she became the concubine of the emperor. Her unique appearance, her graceful movements and her royal aura didn't fade even after years of confinement in the Cold Palace.

Her eyes reminded me of Li Han's, looking at me as if I'm their prey.

In the novel, Concubine Zhi is one of the obstacle between the male and female lead. As Li Han's biological mother, she is worried at his son's unstable position, that's why she prefer the eldest daughter from the Prime Minister House, Bai Suxin than the prisoner princess, Chu Wanwan to be the crown princess for her son.

When the Bai couple found out that Concubine Zhi showed her bias towards me, they urged me to visit the Qixiang Palace everyday.

And soooo.. my misery began.

"Urgh!" I hastily covered my mouth with my silk shôupà (*handkerchief).

Damn, carriages! "Urgh!"

"My lady, how are you feeling?"

Instead of one hour ride to the palace, it extended to two hours due to my 'frail' condition. My stomach felt funny, my head hurts and my eyes were sleepy.

I am Bai Suxin. I can't do OOC (out-of-character). I am a hardworking transmigrator with a heart!

"Urgh!"

Jin'er gave me candies and fruits on the road to somehow distract my body from feeling unwell.

Train. Cars. Airplanes!

Since I came here in this era, I started to appreciate and I really respected those people who invented modern and high-tech transportations.

I pitied this exceptional Chinese silver bowl. These exquisite four floral and foliate designs carved on the outside of the bowl was really finely detailed.

"Amp.. Urgh!" Yap, still busy throwing all my guts out.