Chapter 20

A few days later

All ministers and nobles were gathered in Diwan-I-Khas. Suddenly a guard came at a quick pace and announced: "Gustakhi maaf, a messenger from Punjab has arrived. He says he has urgent news from General Khizr Khwaja Khan."

"Let him step forward," said Bairam Khan, alarmed.

Shortly afterwards the messenger entered. He looked exhausted and worn out.

"Salam Aleikum Shahenshah, Vazir-e-ala!" He bowed.

"Wa Alaikum salam" greeted Bairam Khan. "What kind of news do you have?" He asked with hoarse voice.

Bairam Khan and Jalal listened carefully. The messenger's report was worrying. Khizr Khwaja Khan, the commander of the troops left behind in Lahore to secure the Punjab, had sent the messenger. He informed Bairam Khan of the machinations of Sikandar Shah Suri. He gathered vagabonding Afghans and some land-holders of the hill-country around him. He had retired to the Siwālik Hills and collected taxes in the Punjab from there. Khizr Khwaja Khan also reported that he wanted to put a stop to Sikandar and wanted to set off from his base in Lahore to the Siwālik Hills.

The messenger stood waiting.

"You may go," Bairam Khan released the messenger. He left relieved.

After the messenger was gone, a heated debate began about the current situation in Punjab and how to proceed. As long as it was fermenting in Punbjab, the southern conquests were not safe. Some wanted to immediately send out more troops in support of Khizr Khwaja Khan. The other part, including Bairam Khan, wanted to wait. Jalal had listened attentively to the dispute and, after careful consideration, had decided, like Bairam Khan, to wait. He got up and held up his hand. Those present rose hastily from their seats and fell silent. Confused, they looked from Bairam Khan to Jalal. Bairam Khan was furious but didn't show anything. „How dare the lad!" he thought inwardly. This stood bolt upright with his head proudly held high and spoke in a loud and clear voice:

„We will not send any troops to Khizr Khwaja Khan for the time being. He has enough soldiers to withstand an attack! Should there be further riots, we will immediately send troops to the Punjab for security! It's decided!"

With these words he walked past those present with quick, firm steps, head held high, and left. He went direkctly into his chambers. Ministers and nobles remained back speechless! They looked at each other perplexed. Jalal was the ruler, but so far he had not risen above his regent Bairam Khan. Excited discussions began. Furtive glances were given to Bairam Khan. Nobody dared speak to him. Bairam Khan was furious to the core! After he caught himself, he rushed out of Diwan-I-Khas!

Jalals chambers

On the way to Jalal's chambers, Bairam Khan tried to contain his anger. What did the lad dare to do? How could he announce a decision without consulting him! Wasn't it he who directed affairs for him, negotiated and brought him to the throne? How could he embarass him in front of everyone present! His anger grew! He felt how the lad slowly gained in self-confidence and his influence on him diminished. He had to get Jalal back under control at all costs. Otherwise his plans were in jeopardy! He was also angry with himself! With these thoughts he hurried into Jalal's chamber. The guards did not have the opportunity to announce him.

"Jalal! How could you announce this decision without consulting me?" he yelled at Jalal. His face was a twisted grimace of anger with bloodshot eyes

Jalal looked him straight in the eyes.

"Bairam Khan!" he called in a composed tone. "Moderate your voice!" he threw at him.

Bairam Khan was baffled! Jalal had never spoken to him like this before. His anger grew!