I Don't Want This Night To End

The pair had naturally relaxed into each other as they continued the date. Lizzie's legs were draped across Bucky's lap and her head was resting on his shoulder. Bucky had wrapped his arm around her and was absently stroking up and down her back.

"Where do you see yourself in 15 years?" Lizzie asks.

"With you, hopefully married. We might even have a couple kids by then. You will be a successful doctor or scientist," Bucky says.

"And what will you do?" Lizzie asks.

"I won't have to do anything but wait for you to come home. Do you know how much doctors make? That's half the reason I plan on marrying you," Bucky says.

"So your plan is to become a housewife?" Lizzie laughs.

"I'm secure in myself enough as a man to be able to let my wife do all the work," Bucky says.

"You're the worst," Lizzie says.

"I'm mostly kidding, in all honesty, I think I'd like to be a cop or a firefighter. I think I'd like to save people like you will," Bucky says.

Lizzie beams up at Bucky.

"I think you'd be good at that. You saved Steve and I throughout the years," Lizzie says.

He knew that technically he had saved them both at different points in their friendship but he felt like they saved him as well. Maybe not in a physical way but he doesn't know how he would've turned out if he didn't have the twins to ground him.

"Thank you. Well anyways, that's where I see myself in 15 years. What about you?" Bucky asks.

"Your dream sounds pretty perfect, can I borrow it?" Lizzie asks.

"Sure, El," Bucky responds.

Bucky kisses her forehead and they fall back into comfortable silence.

"What's your biggest fear?" Bucky asks.

Lizzie stiffens in his arms and he immediately regrets asking the question.

"You don't have to answer the question if it makes you uncomfortable," Bucky says quickly.

"No, it's fine. It's just not something I love to think about. My biggest fear is losing you and Steve. Without you two, I don't know how I'd survive. I'm terrified to lose Steve. You know how connected we are and I honestly don't know how one of us would cope if we lost the other. I'd never be completely whole again. If I lost you... I don't know if I'd ever be able to be happy again. You two are my everything," Lizzie says.

Bucky can't help but agree that losing her and Steve would be excruciating. He would have his family, unlike the Rogers twins, but he still doesn't think he'd ever recover. How does one cope with losing their best friend and the love of their life?

"I promise to do my best to protect Steve and take care of myself so we can always go home to you," Bucky swears.

"Thank you Jaime. I know you'll do everything you can to keep that promise," Lizzie says.

Bucky knows how vulnerable Lizzie must feel right now so he owes it to be vulnerable with her too.

"I'm scared of hurting you," Bucky whispers.

Lizzie snaps her head towards him and sits up.

"You could never hurt me," Lizzie says.

Bucky remembers seeing the bruises on her arms.

"Can't I?" Bucky asks.

He knows that she is thinking about when he dragged her as well.

"What happened was an accident, I know you'd never hurt me on purpose," Lizzie says dismissively.