15. Because I Love You (Sai)

I jump from the horse and raise my arms in the air. The energy flows under my skin. I can feel it gathering in my hands. I focus on the warm, ticklish sensation and direct everything I've got towards the terrible beast. I manage to slow it down a little, but that's all. 

   I've never tried to influence something that big and vicious. I've only heard of them but have never seen one. We thought that the last one was hunted down many years ago. We call it the fiery butterfly, although, it has nothing to do with the beautiful name. It radiates pure evil. Its yellow eyes are glowing like embers, reflecting the flames that are blazing around it. It's a ferocious, flying torch. It doesn't blink, doesn't dodge. The terrifying hiss doesn't stop even for a second. It's here to kill.

   "What is this?" Dey shouts, taking out his sword. "How do we fight it?"

  "You can't fight it," King Dorth yells back. The hiss is so loud at this point that we barely hear our words. The animal can't fly at its normal speed and the pressure it feels makes it even more irritated. "The only way is to lure it to stop emitting fire and cut its head."

   "Nobody move a muscle!" father screams. "It can't see us if we stay still."

 The monster is so close that we can distinguish its form clearly now. It looks like a giant, burning moth. The head occupies half of its body. There's no neck. Its ugly muzzle is expressionless. The heat is unbearable. Only few seconds and it will reach us. The effort to keep it away makes my whole body tremble. The moment I'm about to lose the battle, I hear a low growl and flapping of wings behind me.

   "Harda down!" Dey commands, but it's too late. The injured bat rises clumsily from the ground, gnashing menacingly at the horrid creature which is three times his size. Our attacker immediately changes direction, slowing its speed even more, as if assessing if its opponent is dangerous. They start circling in the air, stalking each other. 

   "How do we make it stop flaming?" Dey asks. 

   "It will only stop in order to feed," father answers. 

   "Then we need a bait," the prince nods with determination, gracefully jumping up in a standing position on the horse's back. The stallion, which is restlessly digging the ground with a hoof, immediately stills to be more stable for its master. 

   "Dey, No!" I scream, sensing his intentions, but he only smiles at me and winks. 

   "Get ready! We'll have only one shot," he firmly urges us and whistles sharply. 

   "Dey, please, don't!" I whisper, taking out my sword.

   Harda takes a sharp turn upon hearing the signal. Dey jumps as if on a springboard, does a somersault in the air and lands on his knees directly on the back of the bat, firmly gripping the first pair of wings to direct its flight. They move in an arc right under the snarling moth's nose and land few meters away, luring the animal to turn it's back to us.

   "Harda, down boy," the prince yells, jumping on the ground. The bat immediately lays on its back. Dey dashes directly against the approaching predator. The giant moth lands and the flames disappear in the same sudden way they appeared. It has obviously decided that its pray is secured. It starts crawling slowly towards Dey who stops abruptly and screams, "Now!" 

   The two kings race their horses with victorious shouts towards the beast without wasting a second. The moment their swords cut through its flesh a set of six terrifying tentacles, each ending in a dagger-sharp spike, stretch from its mouth towards the man who tricked it into the trap. I dash and, releasing a cry of horror and disgust, cut them all with one strike a second before they pierce his chest.

   The creature releases a blood freezing screech and its severed head falls to the ground.

   I throw myself towards my prince, grabbing him by the sleeves. "Idiot! I'll kill you if you do this again! Do you hear me? I forbid you to do it again!"

   "Why?" he whispers through heavy panting. I can feel his heart racing. His whole body is shaking from the rush of adrenalin. He looks into my eyes. "Why, Sai? Why don't you want me to risk my life?"

   "Because I love you," I manage to utter before the crying queen Airya, followed by all the girls hot on her heels, push me away and burry him in hugs and tears.

_____________________________________________

   A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 15!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Do you think Dey was too reckless?

What are your theories for the sudden appearance of the creature that everybody thought extinct? Do you think there's something more behind this? 🤔

What about the unexpected love confession? Did you like it? 🥰

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny