Chapter 78

Esmeray considered saying 'No.'

After all, she still wasn't at her best in any way. A conversation with Kol didn't bode well for the prospect of making a full or near-full recovery from her trauma.

And yet, seeing the hurt look in his eyes, she couldn't turn him away.

"Yeah, sure," she said, beckoning for him to sit at the chair next to her desk. Thankfully, he didn't ask questions about why she was asking him to sit so far away from her.

"So," he said awkwardly, fiddling with his fingers and pursing his lips as if he had no idea where to start the conversation now that she's accepted to having it. She imagined he hadn't expected her to agree to it. "How have you been feeling?"

"Terrible," she replied bluntly. "You?"

Kol cracked a smile. "Horrendous."

"I'm sorry about Davina."

"I'm sorry about Jackson and your baby."

She looked down, and he winced. "I'm sorry for bringing it up," he murmured. "It just... felt like the kind of thing Davina would have wanted me to say. You and I haven't spoken very many times in the past."

"Twice, I believe," said Kol, biting his lip. "Nik had me wondering, the other day, how life might have been different for all of us, had we grown up in the same village. You're merely a few months younger than me. And several months older than Rebekah. We'd have all been friends. I was a witch, too, when I was young."

"I did hear about that," she said, not sure if he'd really just come here to talk about their childhood. "Klaus mentioned that it was really terrible when you lost your magic."

Kol nodded. "I er— I heard that Lucien nearly turned you yesterday. I suppose I wanted to check in. I hated losing my magic, despite only having had it for seventeen years of my life. You've had it for almost twenty three years, and you're damn good at it, too."

"I'm fine," she told him. "Lucien didn't turn me. I've got my magic. I guess it just makes me think."

"About what?"

"Literally everyone has told me at least once that Klaus will be the death of me. We've all discussed me being turned at one point or another. I don't know what the future holds for me, in a relationship with your brother. And I don't say this to imply that I'm scared he'll kill me or anything. I just mean... I'm not immortal, and he won't ever want to turn me into an immortal, because he knows how much my magic means to me. I guess I wonder what will happen when I really start to age."

"You have time to think about that," Kol mused, furrowing his eyebrows a bit. "You're still quite young. You won't start to really age much until you turn... forty, maybe. Then, the decision will have to be made. But I suppose being immortal isn't appealing if you wish to have a child of your own. Me, well, I don't very much like children. I don't think Davina wanted any. Or will want any, if I manage to bring her back."

Esmeray cast him a sad look. "I will help you in any way that I can, Kol. Is that what you wished to talk about?"

"Somewhat. I know you mentioned your specialty isn't Resurrection Spells. But... I don't feel I can ask Freya for help. She and Elijah are the ones who left Davina to die. I don't want them to be a part of the process that brings her back."

"I have contacts I can consult so that I can make the spell on my own. It was unnatural, in my Pack, but it's still possible, and I want to be able to help. Bringing someone back from the dead... in most circumstances... is highly unadvisable. But in this case, I think nature could make an exception. I want to find a spell that'll work. I need to find a spell that'll work."