Stuck

Jane frowned down at the text message on her phone.

What day can you meet for dinner this week? I have BIG NEWS!

The message was from Xavier, and the content of the message itself wasn't what made Jane frown. No, that expression was due to the feeling in her gut that told her that her life was about to turn to shit. It was the same feeling that she'd had before every other major tragedy in her life, and she didn't suspect this to be any different. She just knew that something bad was going to happen.

That premonition was only supported by the missed call notification on her phone from a strange number. It had appeared last night, and it had left a voicemail of heavy breathing. She knew who it was, and she wasn't sure if it made her scared or mad. Scared that he kept contacting her and knowing that if he had her number, he might know where she lived. Mad because she was allowing him to make her feel trapped in her own life, despite everything she'd done to make herself feel free of the monster under the bed. No matter what she did, Jane felt stuck.

She startled when her car door opened, and Buck opened her passenger side door. He threw his duffle into the back seat of her Kia and gave her a bright smile.

"Thanks for the ride while the Jeep is in the shop."

Jane returned his smile with one of her own. "Anytime Buckaroo. So, how are you doing?"

He rolled his eyes good naturedly. "I'm fine. You don't need to use your mom voice on me."

"This is my natural tone of voice Buck," Jane shot him a dry look. "I can't help it."

"Believe me. I know."

She was silent for a moment. "Hey, Buck?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you something?" At his nod she continued, "You ever get scared that you are where you are because it's comfortable and you aren't doing something you need to because it's scary?"

His eyes widened. "You're going to have to break that down for me."

"Do you feel that you're stuck in a rut? And the only reason that you are stuck is because you are scared of getting yourself out?"

"Honestly?"

Jane shot him a look. "No, Buck. I'm asking for you to lie to me."

"Well, don't tell anybody...but for awhile now I've been having doubts about Abby."

"Staying in her house?" she asked. At his nod, she gave him a reassuring smile once she'd stopped at the sign. "Well, from what I've heard Buck, it sounds to me like she was supposed to be back months ago, and she's still gone. I just think that...if I had someone who loved me, and who I was in love with, once I'd found what I was looking for, I'd run back to him. It just seems like Abby is still running away."

"Yeah," he said glumly. "Hard to think any differently."

"I don't think its because of you Buck. She spent so much of her life taking care of her mom, she probably lost herself. She's probably scared that if she comes back, then she'll lose herself again."

"That is not what a guy wants to hear about his girlfriend."

"I'm sorry, Buck. I didn't mean to drag you down with me."

At that, he shot her a concerned look. Before the earthquake, Jane hadn't shown him any signs that she was anything other than...well...happy. But he was slowly beginning to think about other people, which meant that gradually he was learning that everyone has problems. Jane was his friend, and if she felt like talking to him, he'd talk. It's not like she'd do anything less for him.