Frozen Rain - Niki Interlude

I didn't mean to.

It really, truly wasn't my fault. I wasn't prepared for this, nor did anyone provide the proper training that would have guided me. I tried my best to stay completely neutral. I did everything I could to observe without interfering. That was my mission. It was the goal had in mind when I arrived. All I needed to do was learn what I could about Theseus Innit and get out. It was simply unfortunate that I met Tommy. The little worm now owned a place rent-free in my heart.

When I first arrived, our relationship was based on mutual respect and trust. Tommy was in the position where he couldn't afford to make waves, and I had some level of respect who rescued me from potential sexual harassment (though I could have handled it myself, it was the thought that mattered). It helped that we were coworkers, and I needed to keep a civil relationship with Tommy. That was supposed to be it. No escalation.

And then he smiled and laughed like a small child. He appealed to my maternal instincts even when he didn't know it.

It went like this. Two days after I arrived, Tommy had worked a near 20 hour shift. Fed up with his work addiction, Jack immediately sent him home. I agreed with Jack when the two started arguing in the lobby. Tommy begrudgingly went home. Jack sighed and told me that Tommy was a 'good kid' before heading downstairs to finish up the laundry Tommy had left going since it didn't expect to be sent packing.

Fifteen minutes later, Tommy had come back, saying he forgot something downstairs. I followed to make sure he wasn't lying and was actually here to work. When we opened the door, we were met with a room covered in white suds and a soapy Jack yelling at the washing machine to 'cut it out' and 'get a hold of yourself!'. The machine, in response, merely made a grunt-like noise as it spat out another wave of water and soap.

Tommy's laugh rang out, loud and pure and unbothered with life. His grin split his face, his eyes shutting on reflex and skin wrinkling. His body folded over as he gripped his stomach in painful merriment. It was infectious because I was giggling at his side a few seconds later, gasping for breaths in between each laugh as my face turned red. Jack huffed and puffed at them before he was repressing a smile that threatened him. Jack eventually gave in, his face lighting up beneath the white suds, red from embarrassment and happiness.

We spent the next hour cleaning up the room while joking and playing with each other. I didn't mean to get attached, but here they were, Jack and Tommy, two people that I would now swear were my brothers if asked. Tommy was bubbly, social, perceptive, and extremely caring. He could be annoying and dramatic, but I like to think I have the patience of a saint. Jack was more subdued, but he had that same passion that drove him into action. I could tell somehow that Jack was burning on the inside, a fire threatening to take him over. Similarly, Tommy could be so distant at times and with certain subjects, a complete isolating shut-off. I wanted to help them. I wanted to make them laugh like they did before every day that I was allowed to stay.

I decided that I would stay. At least until Phil called me back in for a new mission. I was sure that neither Tommy nor Jack were spies. Tommy wasn't a spy because he spent so much time working here that it wasn't a cover. I ruled out Jack when I found he wasn't flaunting or hiding his power. He wore his glasses thick with suppressing capabilities. Jack wasn't going to tell anyone about his powers, but if they knew, they knew. The two of them couldn't have been teammates considering how little they knew about each other, but they still had the instinct to argue like cats and dogs. I equated them with brothers, almost long-lost brothers.

So, you understand that this was all pure accident.

"Tommy! I brought cookies! Fresh out of the oven!" Niki yelled as she opened the door. She was met with silence. Niki looked around to see an empty room. Jack wasn't at the counter, and the sign on the door said that the hotel wasn't accepting check-ins at the moment. Niki shivered as she wondered what had happened while she had been gone. Tommy and Jack never left their posts unless it was for an important reason. Their breaks never overlapped, either, for fear of Drunkard finding out they took breaks.