16

Shantey buried her face in her knees as she sat on the bathroom floor to recollect herself

               Shantey buried her face in her knees as she sat on the bathroom floor to recollect herself. She heard the dogs whining outside the door to get her attention. It worked since she lifted her head toward the door and took in the sound of their paws hitting the door. She gained her strength to raise up to her feet, unlock the doorknob, and pull out the door. Shadow and Rocco came in and Shantey crouched down.

               "Hey." Shantey petted their faces gently, "Mommy got upset but you both brought me back to life."

               Shantey walked out the bathroom with Shadow and Rocco close up on her heels. Everyone stood with caution as Shantey entered the living room. Tae was first to speak. "Hey, baby, everything all right?"

               "Yeah..." Shantey stared at Evie, "I'm sorry about that."

               "It's okay. It happens." Evie spoke softly.

               "I don't want to talk about the woman that literally destroyed me. I get there's a lot about my past that I haven't fully forgiven and today's not the day for it. Right now, in this moment, I just want to remember my children."

               Evie nodded, smiling warmly. "Of course. Where would you like to start?" She asked.

               "How bout the rooms?" Tae suggested.

               "Yeah that would be great." Shantey concurred.

               "Tavon, why don't you join us?" Evie asked. She felt it was important to have Shantey's significant other supporting her and by her side.

               "Definitely." Tae leaded the women upstairs to Romeo's bedroom first. "Here room one."

               Shantey stepped in to feel the atmosphere of her first born's room. She could feel familiarity of it and it nearly upset her that she couldn't rack her brain around it. She eye me the desk, her eyes zooming in on a picture as Tae and Evie watched her closely. She picked up the small square frame of young self about seventeen with her full unruly light brown tresses and her first born, they were both smiling happily.

               Shantey rubbed her thumb over the glass. "He's really handsome. It's like I can only remember the first letter of his name."

               "Can you tell me what that is?" Evie asked gently.

               "R..." Shantey sat the photo frame back in its place, "I do know I named him after my favorite romance film."