10 | dahlia

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

" HOW DID SHE EVEN GET THAT INJURY?" Cosmina whispered into Catarina's ear. "She doesn't even go near the stove nor held a knife. All she does all day is moping around and doing nothing productive."

       "She's a big fat liar, that's what," Jessamine interjected. "But if you don't act up quickly, Lady de Fontaine, your man is going to be stolen away."

       "He's not my man," Catarina chuckled. "She can have him if she wants to. Then we can all go back to our homes and live happily ever after."

Although those indifferent words escaped from her lips, her heart told a different story. Catarina was convinced that Julian was enchanted by her, completely enamored and whole heartedly in love. While she was still unsure of her own feelings, she was certain that his affections had not changed.

She was certain, she truly was. But when the sweet notes of Vie Sandr il Amalia filled her ears, she was stunned into silence.
This tune was far more enchanting than the one that Julian had played earlier. There was a certain charm about it that drew you into a trance, but instead of enjoying its beauty, Catarina could only stare in disbelief.

Marguerite's lips were gently smiling at Julian, and those clear amber eyes that she once daydreamt about were staring into Marguerite's light blue eyes fondly.

"I suppose it is a good thing that you do not like him, Lady de Fontaine. Look at the two of them, aren't they made for each other ?" Cosmina chuckled. Truly, Julian and Marguerite were wonderfully compatible.

He was tall and charming, while she was demure and delicate. It was a match made by the heavens, but instead of being happy for them, Catarina felt discontent instead.

"Yes, lovely indeed. Now that he's found a bride, why don't we all go home already ?" Catarina retorted bitterly.
And almost simultaneously, the music stopped playing.

All eyes were on her, including Julian's. "Lady de Fontaine, you couldn't have spoken any louder!" Cosmina hissed, and Catarina abruptly realised that she had said those words out loud. In an instant, her cheeks turned a vibrant red shade, and never in her life that she had felt so much shame before.

Marguerite, while annoyed that her playing was disrupted, was more than happy to hear that Elliot de Fontaine's daughter was indeed agitated by her presence. Julian, who sat beside her however, glanced at Catarina with amusement. Those words of her indicated jealousy, and his heart soared knowing that Catarina had been jealous of him and Marguerite.

Afterall, jealousy does not simply bloom out of nowhere. Most commonly there would be a previous affection or hatred, and in this particular case, Julian truly hoped that it was the former.

Now, it was Marguerite's turn to feel threatened. Eventhough he was here sitting next to her, she knew that Julian's heart and soul were elsewhere.