67 - heal

CW: traumatic scenes, read with caution
-

They were standing in the courtyard, watching as the mass crowd of Death Eaters approached closer into the grounds towards them.

They had been summoned from the Great Hall by the shouts and yells from their side, interrupting Athena whilst she aided wound after wound. Draco had watched her as she'd worked. Theo had thrown himself back into the action of the battle almost immediately after they'd rested earlier on. Athena had kept a careful eye on Draco, wary he would leave her.

The entirety of their side gathered among the entrance of the school, trying to determine the reasoning for their civil arrival. It was like the tide on a beach shore before a tsunami hit. The intensity of impending doom poisoned the air.

Athena could feel Draco's anxiety radiating from him. She drank it from him like a vial of potion. But he stood as if carved into a statue behind her, barely even present, floating like a ghost.

The silence among them was heavy, interrupted by the cackles and victory yells from the Death Eaters. They stared in confusion and worry for the worst was coming.

And when they recognised the body of The Boy Who Lived slung lifelessly in Hagrid's arms, the tsunami of doom collided with each one of them tragically. Every spirit drowned by grief and loss of hope, outpouring with screams and cries.

Athena felt nothing but immense pain as she fixated on the corpse of her best friend. In fact she felt nothing at all, numbed by the pains of loss once again.

And they had lost so much. But now they were going to lose this war. Because their only hope of victory was gone. The agony of failure reigned upon them all.

The cries and screams that mourned for him infected her, turning her blood to acid. She stumbled backwards, colliding with Draco's chest as the pain overwhelmed and dizzied her. His arms pinned her body to his sternly, keeping her afloat the waves of the acidic tide.

She couldn't even listen whilst the venomous monster that the Death Eaters called their Lord, hissed and rejoiced over their victory. He appeared nothing like he had in her father's memories that she had witnessed, but much worse. His appearance combined with the knowledge of all the pain he had caused disgusted her beyond all.

She caught the end of his words, sinking into Draco's body, trying to disappear as each sound left the vile man's mouth.

"Join me and I will grant you salvation. Stand by my side now and you shall be forgiven for all," his words came out through hisses.

She felt Draco stiffen behind her. Voldemort's snake-like eyes flickered through the crowd, falling upon him. His glare was vengeful, outraged as Draco failed to move.

Athena corrected herself, reached back for his hand and slipped hers into his hold immediately, keeping him in place behind her. His grip was harsh, but bearable.

Draco forced himself to look away from Voldemort, instead fixing his eyes upon Athena.

Lucius Malfoy stepped forward from the crowd, dragging Narcissa with him.

"Draco," he hissed among the silence.

No one turned to look at him, all afraid to let their eyes wander from Voldemort in case he made any sudden moves.

"Draco," he repeated, almost in a yell.

Draco wouldn't look at his father, just ignored him without a care.