Chapter Thirteen

As the rain beat on the small window, Gretchen looked out and sighed. She and Albert were supposed to go on their second date, but the spring weather had decided to ruin it for them.

Alida, who had come over to keep Gretchen from being bored, took a seat next to her friend. "No use moping around, you know. We could do something fun!"

"Like what? Al and I were going to the theater and go watch them rehearse. He said it's fun to stand backstage and dance." Gretchen sighed again, but she jumped when Alida hit her square in the head with a pillow. "What was that for?"

"Stop being so dramatic! It's not the end of the world, we can find something to entertain us. Besides, we can dance here. Who needs him?" Alida smiled slightly. "Or we could do something else."

Gretchen nodded. "You're right. Do you want any tea? Since it's raining outside."

Alida laughed softly. "The perfect rainy day drink." She stood and followed Gretchen into the kitchen. The two chatted and sipped tea, enjoying their time together.

When there was a knock at the door, Gretchen set her cup down and answered it. On the other side of the door stood Albert, an umbrella in his hand. "I'm not too late, am I?" He asked with a smile.

Gretchen glanced behind her at Alida, not wanting to abandon her friend. "No, you're not. But Alida and I were actually-"

"Go," Alida interrupted her, smiling. "Have fun!"

Gretchen smiled back at her. "Thank you! We will!" She followed Albert out of the apartment and into the street. He held the umbrella over both of them as they walked, but the rain had mostly stopped. "I'm glad you came," Gretchen said.

"I didn't interrupt anythin', right?" Albert checked, lowering the umbrella once the rain had come to a full stop. "Seemed like you two were havin' fun."

Gretchen shook her head. "She's my neighbor, we can pick up where we left off when I get back. I haven't been to the theater in a long time."

Albert grinned. "Really? It's fun, even when it ain't durin' an actual show. Medda lets some o' us hang 'round backstage during practice." He held out his hand to her, and Gretchen gladly took it. His calloused fingers felt odd in her somewhat smooth hand, but she found it comforting. She swung their hands back and forth a bit as they walked.

"Do you think it'll rain again?" She asked him, glancing up at the cloudy sky. As if on cue, Gretchen felt a raindrop fall on her head. She looked at Albert, and before either of them could say anything, the bottom dropped out and rain began to pour out of the sky.

Albert laughed a little, shocked, as they both got soaking wet. "Guess we won't be needin' this no more." He gestured to his umbrella.

Gretchen laughed along with him. "I might be more excited about this if it weren't such a cold rain."

"Here, I'll help." Albert pulled her to his chest. He moved her arms to loop around his neck and placed his own around her waist. "I'll warm ya."

Gretchen smiled at his sweet gesture and leaned her head on his chest, adjusting her arms a bit. Albert slowly started to sway back and forth, humming a tune softly. "You have a very nice voice," Gretchen said quietly, glancing up at him.

Albert smiled, the slightest hint of a blush touching his cheeks. "Thanks. Maybe we didn't need ta' go to the theater to dance afta' all." He held her close as they slowly danced, neither of them minding the cold rain anymore. All they needed was the warmth of each other.

~~~~~
yay for more frequent updates now that I'm not in school! I love this chapter because I love fluff-
thanks for reading, don't forget to vote and comment!