Chapter 11: A Blade Vow

I ignored the inquisitive stares of my fellow vampires and returned to my secluded table. Gates was gone, but in her place was my assistant, Khaleel. He wore a black turtleneck tucked into charcoal colored slacks. He stood and saluted as I approached.

"Lieutenant, Lieutenant Gates ordered me to sit here and guard your plate."

I returned his salute and sat down. Roddy was always looking out for me. I was still hungry and the food was quite good. Removing the plate someone had placed protectively over my own, I raised my fork and froze. That's when I glanced up and found Khaleel still standing at attention.

"Have a seat," I said.

He reclaimed his chair, watching me intently. As I raised a forkful of vegetables to my mouth, he took a sharp intake of breath.

"Are you really going to eat that? I mean, I'd heard the rumors, but... I..." He swallowed. "I haven't been able to eat anything since I rose again and not from lack of trying. What I wouldn't give for a cheeseburger. Oh, I'm sorry, sir. Don't mind me."

I ate and ignored him for the most part. I liked Khaleel, but I was growing tired of feeling like some sort of novelty act.

"Can I join you?"

I looked up from my plate and found Idia a few feet away. She wore a silver and black dress with earrings and a silver necklace. Her beautiful braids were free from their bun to frame her face, two black and silver beads hanging from each. I smiled, happy to see her. Khaleel whistled. We both looked at him, his face shocked as if he hadn't realized he'd done it out loud. He jumped to his feet and pulled out a chair.

"Of course! I mean, if it's okay with the Lieutenant." He'd have been sweating if he still could.

"Please, be my guest," I said.

"Seems even in undeath we all cluster together," she observed.

She sat and he slid in her seat. When he sat back down he seemed to have forgotten about me. I cut into my fish and appreciated the savory flavor.

"You don't mind the stomach pains?" she asked. "I try, but I can't handle it."

"I don't think anyone can, miss..." Khaleel eagerly leaned forward.

"Idia."

"Idia. Very beautiful," he said like a love struck boy. "Your name! Your name is very beautiful, not you. Not that you aren't very beautiful, because you are. You-"

"I can eat and drink with no ill effects," I interrupted, saving Khaleel from himself.

"He sings, he dances. Why, the boy is a credit to your kind," Hawkins said, his southern drawl in full effect.

Khaleel and Idia jumped to their feet saluting. The captain showed them no recognition. They might as well have been decorations on the wall. Sybil was on his arm and Bartholomew stood in his shadow like a well trained toady. I took another bite of fish, and looked up expectantly. Hawkins wouldn't have dained to mingle with us unless he'd had good reason. He left the troublemaking to his subordinates.

"C'mon, boy, it's time." He gestured with his head towards the circle forming at the center of the hall. "You two stay and clean up. Hurry now, if you're quick, you might get ta learn somethin'"

I put down my fork, wiped my mouth, and grabbed my hat. He and Sybil watched me, waiting for me to have an outburst or make a scene. I refused to give them the satisfaction. When I didn't jump for the bait, Hawkins scoffed and led the way.

"In the beginning, there was chaos," sang a voice from the center of the room, "coven against coven, clan against clan, the hills of the old world ran red. Vampires fell upon one another in bloody warfare over territory and power. The Pre-Men took up arms and, to defend their borders they taught their human allies the art of vampire slaying. Soon vampires killed by night and man slayed by day. The chaos seemed like a bloody cycle without end."