15

Chapter Fifteen
It's a crazy, crazy world

"Dad!" Terra spoke, grabbing her dad's attention as the suite and Sky hurriedly made it to the hall, laying Sam down on a table.

The room was scattered with anxious and prepared people, all occupied with different, certain tasks that all had the same objective: make ready for the Burned Ones. Some were barricading the entrances (fire fairies wielding it shut), fairies conjuring their magic, specialists armouring up and professors guiding the students.

Professor Harvey was surrounded by tables and racked with equipment, healing solutions, medicine and other things Luella hadn't known of. Professor Harvey's gaze snapped up, his green jacket ruffling. His pupils became bigger through his lenses as he saw his son swarmed with blood and everyone else stained in it.

"I need Zanbaq, now!" He shouted behind him, his voice sunken with worry. "So much blood, why didn't you bring him to me immediately?"

Terra looked straight at her dad urgently, disbelief marked on her face. "Because we were locked in our room dad, remember?"

Professor Harvey stared at her momentarily, regret beginning to swamp his body.

The hall was dim, but everyone still could be made out thanks to the lamps and light fairy magic that kept the endangered hall from a gloom of darkness.

Luella couldn't stop looking at her blood-woven hands trying to rub it off her shirt, already blemished.

"As I'm sure you're aware," the headmistress spoke, grabbing everyone's attention, standing at the front of the crowd. "Burned Ones have infiltrated the barrier and the school. For some reason, the magical energy wells that power everything at the school have failed.

I managed to speak with Queen Luna before they did. She understands the gravity of what's happening here and the Solarian troops are on their way. We're barricading all entrances to the courtyard, we're safe for now. But we must prepare for the reality that the Burned Ones may infiltrate before they arrive."

Chatter got louder after Miss Dowling arose the situation. Most of the students thought it was pure training, never once did they think a silly training day would be useful.

Luella bit the inside of her lip as she tried not to tap her foot.

"This is what we have been training for," the headmistress addressed. "Be cautious but be brave. Let magic guide you, and let's show them what it means to be Alfeans."

Luella didn't even get a chance to turn away from Miss Dowling because her dad rushed up to her.  She let out a quick sigh, thank god he was here; she needed his reassurance desperately. She needed him to say that he wouldn't get hurt again and that her friends wouldn't either.

But Luella then looked to what was clutched in her dad's hands and realised she wasn't going to get that speech of confidence she needed.

"Take this, Luella," Silva said quickly. He stretched out his hands and urgently pressed Specialist armour into her blood-stained hands. "Go change into it."

Was there even time too? The Burned Ones could destroy and enter at any minute, she couldn't worry about having to fight them with a sword, let alone her powers.