38 - Soap opera rip-off

Evelyn's POV

My eyelids fluttered open slowly, almost not wanting to comply with my brain as I felt so comfortable in the warmth of the bed that my limbs were almost too relaxed. The dream I had the night before had almost ruined my sleep completely, but I was glad I managed to get some sleep after all. 

Unlike most mornings, an amazing warmth hugged my body, almost feeling like someone was actually hugging me. Feeling my neck sore, I snuggled against the pillow to find a better spot, suddenly realizing how hard it was. I took a deep breath in and a strong yet known scent filled my nostrils. Hold on a second. 

I slowly titled my head up, the realization coming to my brain that it wasn't just the covers that were hugging my body, but Aiden's arms. I looked up at him, meeting his eyes, as he had also woken up. "Good morning" he murmured, voice still raspy and deep from sleep. 

I jolted up, confused and startled "When did you get here" I asked him, and he rolled his eyes, laughing. "This is my house Hayes, so technically speaking I should be the one asking that question" he replied, and the frown on my face intensified. I looked around, being greeted by metal band posters and overall darkness. This was indeed his room. 

Aiden sat up, running his hands through his hair, and yawned. "Do you really not remember anything from last night? 'Cause I'm definitely not repeating myself, you only get that show once" he said. My eyes wandered around before my gaze fell on the file that was sitting on his desk. Cole's face popped in my brain, along with bits of the conversation. 

"So it wasn't just a nightmare?" I said, disappointed -but not surprised- that this was my reality. Aiden shook his head before getting up to go to the bathroom, but not before telling me to think about what I wanted for breakfast. My stomach was growling but as hungry as I felt, I was pretty sure my system couldn't process food.  

I turned on my phone to check the time, only to find... 47 missed calls and 70 texts from Bryan? As expected, all of the texts were about how worried he was that I was replying to him and others were begging me to call him in the morning. 

Bryan's POV 

I was way over the speed limit and very glad that it was still early in the morning and not many people were on the road, because with how blurry my thoughts were I was sure I would most likely cause an accident. 

I was racing to Evelyn's house, trying to keep my head out of the worst. I told myself I'd be patient and wait for them to talk, she would for sure text me back at some point. But hours after hours were going by and no texts came in. I didn't trust the dude the slightest, and I couldn't wait until I saw her again, just to make sure she was okay. 

I didn't think he was crazy enough to lay a hand on her, but I was sure he was able to damage her verbally and I wasn't having it. We were just getting started, I wasn't going to let the notorious Aiden Black -all irony intended- ruin this.

I finally reached their driveway and parked my car outside, not even caring that it was way too early in the morning and I might have woken up half the neighborhood, nor that I would probably have to face her brother.

My feet were moving on their own accord and before I knew it I was knocking on the door. A very confused and tired Cole was on the other side. "Can I help you?" he asked, and I instantly knew he wasn't in his best mood. Offering him a weak smile to ease the tension, I spoke "I'm Evelyn's friend, Bryan?" I said but it came out more like a question. He frowned, looking through his brain for information that matched with my name but it quickly seemed like nothing came up. 

Regardless, he pretended it did. "Oh, right, sorry, I haven't woken up properly. Come in" he said, making some space for me to walk inside before closing the door behind me. "Are you here for Evelyn?" he asked and I nodded "I am, actually. Is she up?" I asked and he shrugged. "Not sure, she usually wakes up early but today it seems she's sleeping in."