37.

River rolled the rock and the bitter smell hit his nose. He couldn't stop the growl that bounced around his chest and escaped through his clenched teeth.

The human urine stung his nose and not only did he feel like it was put there for him to intentionally smell, the human must've had something wrong with him. There was no way that was normal. Even through the day's rain, it remained.

River smelled the challenge and he was ready to accept it.

It was nearing evening when Azzalea had insisted that they go outside as a family. They had been in the cave for two days and not seeing the outside always made Azzalea irritated. She was already in pain and River didn't want to make it any worse by denying her to see the outside world.

He stepped through the opening and scanned the nearby area. River growled deeper and he turned to look at Azzalea as she stepped through the door.

Azzalea smacked her lips and wrinkled her nose up. Creek fussed against his mother's chest.

River knew they had to be picking up some sort of scent, Azzalea wouldn't know what it was or how to identify it, but Creek would one day know. The young male halfling already attempted a half pitiful growl.

"River, what is it?" Azzalea looked at him warily. She inched her way back into the safety of the cave. She left the beautiful pink sunset sky and chose the safety of the stone roof.

River stood with his back arched and chest out. He didn't care if they saw him without his fur on. No foul smelling male was going to challenge him in his forest. He took another deep breath and parted his mouth. From what he could smell, there were several males. "Humans." He growled.

The wind picked up and carried the scent down to him. He looked over to the hill. River narrowed his eyes. He knew exactly where they were now.

Azzalea shook her head. "Come inside, River. Please." She reached out and took his massive hand. His entire body was tense as he looked into the forest. "River."

River backed up, his eyes never leaving the hill. "Yes my love." He said and rolled the stone back into place.

He wasn't going to ignore the challenge clearly made to him.

~~~~~

Randy spit into the small campfire and looked at the men around it. They had been outside of the cave for two days. 

Besides those fresh footprints, there was no other sign of the squatch. They had taken turns peering over the hill, down to the stone door.

Wade spent his time mumbling and looking over a map. He had walked off from camp a couple times with the boy. He was looking for a gravesite that some old man had convinced him was nearby. Now he was sure which way to go and what it would look like.

Randy turned his eyes up to the boy, Blake. It was his turn to watch the cave. The sun was setting quickly, but as Randy stared at the young boy he watched his head dip. "That little fucker is asleep." He cursed and kicked at the burning wood. "I knew it was a bad idea."

Randy bounded up the hill, cursing Wade and Blake as he went.

Wade and the men around the campfire watched as he made his way up to Blake.

Randy kicked the boy in the back. "Wake up you fucker! You're supposed to be watching the cave!" He said and pointed.

Blake woke up with a start and was immediately apologizing. "I'm sorry Randy. I'm so sorry."

The furious man shook his head. "No. You are supposed to be -" He glanced down to the cave. He watched as the stone moved back into place. "YOU GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME! HE WAS JUST OUTSIDE!"

The men shot up like rockets, passing each other guns. Randy was already down the hill. He walked up to the stone door and beat on it. "HEY FUCKER! GUESS WHO! I WANT AZZALEA NOW!"

Wade walked up behind Randy, not daring to touch the man. "Randy, shut up. You're gonna piss him off and -"

"Good, I want him pissed! COME OUTSIDE!!"

The men froze as a low pitched noise came from behind them.

They swirled around and looked to the woods. Red eyes gleamed at them from the dark shadows of the forest.

The deep growl got louder as the beast grew taller.

Randy caught his breath as the creature emerged from the forest. The massive beast was covered in fur from head to toe. His nearly nine foot frame was easily that of three beastily sized men. The red eyes communicated nothing but death.

Fear must've consumed them all, because not one man moved.

The growl was so loud it buzzed Randy's ears.

"Run!" Wade shrieked and took off.

The sasquatch roared and the entire forest shook. Each man screamed and took off into a different direction.

~~~~~

Azzalea had set Creek into the bassinet in their living room area. She watched as River put on his fur. They hadn't been inside the house for more than two seconds before River was ready to go out again. "Wait for Briar." She pleaded with him. "Please, River."

His grandfather was due to get there any day. Azzalea wouldn't have been surprised if he showed up within a few minutes.

River shook his head. He knew Azzalea wouldn't understand. He knew that she didn't get the challenge, but River knew something was up. " I must run them out." He wouldn't dare say what his real intentions were.

They both paused as something came from outside the stone door. It sounded like tapping.

River shook his head and finished pulling his fur on. "Go hide in the back of the cave. No matter what you hear, do not come out. Stay safe for the sake of our son."

Azzalea held her hands out to River. "No, they are right at the door. NO!" She pointed to Creek. "If you get killed, he will have no father. Then what?"

River fluffed his beard a hair out. He turned and looked at her.

Azzalea watched as her beautiful Viking giant turned into the legendary beast people were so dead set on finding.

River leaned down and kissed her. "Go to the village. You are part Giant now. You know the way." He picked Creek up from the bassinet and nuzzled the tiny infant. "You take care of Mama." He handed Azzalea the baby.

"Azzalea!"

They both paused and looked at one another. The screaming was muffled, but one clear word stood out from the rest.

River tensed. He didn't know much English, but he knew his female's name when it was called. "Who is that?"

Azzalea looked into River's eyes with disbelief. The fear swept over her and nearly took her under. She took a raggedy breath. "Randy."

She had told him everything. River knew of the pain this male caused his mate and now he was going to pay.

"Get to the back of the cave. I'm going to roll the stone back, but in case they get in, I need you to be safe." He cupped her chin and planted a kiss on her lips. "I will take care of it."

A roar shook the stone.

River took a deep breath. "Briar is here."

Next update will be June  1st, 2021!   ~Autumn