3 weeks after

-------------------------

3 weeks later

-------------------------

Grace POV:

The cold wind blows in my face making me close my eyes and take a deep breath.

Ah, so fresh.

The past 3 weeks have been passing quickly. Everyone was trying their hardest in training and sometimes, when we were staying up late to train the intiates, i felt slightly bad for them. We were really pushing beyond their limits, but thats what we have to do in order to take down my mother.

My mother.

I tense at the thought of her.

I remember all the times she would help me with my studying. Until i turned 12 she would come to my sisters and I's room at night and we would read a book filled with tales from before the war. She was a loving mother to me thats why it was so hard for me to believe that she created an entire army of superwarriors to kill innocent people.

I saw them when i was 14 for the first time. I had forgotten my bag in the labours downstairs and when i got back to get it i saw them. I saw them killing. And i saw my mother watching and typing something as if there wasnt anything wrong. That night i discovered that those people were divergents. That night i started to fear my mother. I never told Eric because he is suspicious and wouldn't let me home ever again.

I couldnt help but wonder, if it was the loss of Sophie and me that makes her act like this.

It hurt me to think of it like that.

My sweet caring mother, gone mad because of her children.

I take a deep breath.

What would she do when she knew?

Knew about Sophie?

That she was gone, forever.

Flashback: (3rd person)

The monitor on Sophies bed goes crazy. Doctors come rushing in and untangle her from her tubes. Stan, the head doctor, shouts orders while massaging the sick girls heart. Nurses and assistants weasel in and out of the room. Stan wipes sweat from his forhead. 'Come on Sophie you can do this. Fight.' , he murmurs and injects some adrenaline. Her heart rate jolts and then silence. Stan continues massaging her heart. 'Come on. Come on.' , he mutters. But theres no sign of life anymore. He sighs and looks at the watch on his wrist.
'Time of death, 4:36 p.m . Nurse, could you please prepare the body so we can move it to the morgue downstairs.' , head doctor instructs and the nurses get to work at once. Sergeant Miller bursts into the room panting heavily. 'Ah, Miller thanks for coming. I need you to get Grace as fast as you can tell her its about her sister.' , he says and with one look at the body Miller storms out of the room.