Chapter Seventeen - Water Rat

After what felt like the car ride that would not end, I was more than relieved to get out of the vehicle at Claire's Hair Studio. My mother and I walked inside in silence.

A petite woman with a blonde bob haircut approached my mother frantically. "Bonjour, Clarissa. I am so glad you can make it." She spoke with a clearly French accent.

"Bonjour, Claire. Merci for squeezing us in." She air kissed Claire as she led us to a black chair at the far end of her salon. "C'est ma fille, Olivia." She gestured to me.

"Bonjour," I greeted pulling out my more than rusty French my mother made me practice for years. Think of all of your husband's French connections you'll have to impress one day she'd tell me.

"Comment allez-vous?" Claire questioned as she pointed to the chair.

I sat down, "Ca va tres bien, et toi?" I asked.

"I am doing very well. Your French is very good, ma cherie." Claire commented as she sized my hair up.

My mother smiled from a chair at the back of the room. "Oui. I made her practice for many hours when she was younger. I am glad you still retained it, Olivia. You never know what your future husband may need from you. You must always prepare yourself to impress others."

"What are you looking for with your hair?" Claire asked as she brought a spray bottle out and began spritzing my hair.

"Just a trim please." I replied.

I sat quietly as Claire and my mother chatted in French while Claire trimmed my hair. I pulled out my phone and texted Avery that my mom would drop me off after my haircut and she sent me the address of the restaurant they would be at.

Claire blow dried my hair out and I felt lighter with the new haircut. I admired my brown hair in the mirror for a moment. I had to give it to my mom, she had great contacts. Claire really was good at her job.

We walked to the front and my mother waved at her after we paid, "Je vous remercie."

"Of course, Clarissa. Anytime for you," Claire gushed out.

We walked out of the salon and back into my mother's Mercedes.

"I told Avery you'd drop me off after the haircut if that's okay with you. I have the address?"

My mother nodded, "Yes, I just have one more stop to make before I drop you off. I have to grab something from the country club and it's on the way."

I shrugged, "Okay."

We pulled up at the country club and my mother stepped out. "Well, are you coming?" She called from the open door.

I forgot that my mom hates doing things on her own. That's why she travelled constantly with a group of friends. My theory was that she was terrified to be alone with her thoughts. But I barely knew my mother and we both understood that.

We walked into the country club that I hadn't stepped foot in for two years. The last time I came here was when she introduced me to Aaron. Aaron was cute, that's what I first noticed about him. Our moms really pushed for the match once they noticed we were interested in each other. My mother would always warn me that nowadays, falling for the wrong man was so common that we have to take matters into our own hands. We have to ensure that our lives are what we make them. If it needs a little shove to get there, so be it. I'll use a goddamn hammer to get us there.

"Why, hello June!" I stopped in my tracks. There sitting in a blue pants suit and a blonde up-do was Aaron's mother. Warning bells starting going off in my head. Run, Olivia, but my feet remained stuck to the ground.

"Clarissa, how are you dear?" June and my mom air kissed as they sat down together.

"Olivia, sweetheart, come sit," June chimed. How the hell was I going to sit when my feet were literally glued to the floor. I tried to move them but they didn't budge.

My mother frowned at me, clearly beginning to get embarrassed that I wasn't sitting down. I held onto a chair nearby and just deposited my body on it sloppily my limbs flailing along the way. My mom shot me a glare.

"How are you, June?" My mom asked to buy me time to acclimate myself, I'm sure.

"Oh, you know. Stocks go up, I buy the new fall line. Stocks go down, I buy the new spring line." She laughed throwing her head back as she did so.

I could never stand the woman when Aaron and I were dating. She was too busy to ever be around when we were together but the few times I had to endure her company were soul crushing.

My mother chuckled before June added, "Ah, hello honey." My eyes darted to a blonde bob that was currently getting an air kiss from his mother.

Aaron sat down on a chair next to his mother. I was fuming. He was so selfish. It wasn't enough for him to cheat on me and break my heart and turn all our friends against me, but now that his image was in jeopardy, he orchestrated this entire meet up to save his own ass.

"Hi, Olivia." Aaron stated sheepishly giving me a smile. I couldn't even look at his face. He was a water rat to me. Or something worse than a water rat. But a water rat was the worst thing I could think of at the moment.

"So, we've heard there's some trouble in paradise." June stated taking a sip of her mimosa.

I gaped at her and then at Aaron and back again. I was just sitting in utter shock looking like a moron.

"Olivia, this is a match made in heaven for the two of you. You couldn't ask for a better life than this." My mom tried to reason with me.

Use language that acknowledges your feelings, "Listen, I'm sorry, but we broke up."

June laughed, "Oh, how fickle young love is. Breakups can be mended, Olivia."

Something about her mocking tone make me want to snap back, "Maybe I don't want to mend it, June."

"Olivia, watch your tone." My mother scolded. "Think about your prospects. Think about your future."

Act in accordance with your values, despite the circumstances. "For once, I am thinking about my future."

"Where is this rebellious behavior coming from, Olivia? I don't even recognize you. Is this from Avery?" My mother questioned.

"It's all from her new boyfriend," Aaron piped in.

"Shut up, Aaron." I snapped at him. June gasped in horror at the way I spoke to her son. He decides to be a part of this conversation now?

I stood up. My legs were shaking and my heart was pounding. Each time you say yes to something you don't want to do, you're giving someone power over you.

"Sit down, Olivia!" My mother scolded.

But I couldn't. I couldn't do this anymore. I was tired of being stepped on and tossed aside as an afterthought. I couldn't even be mad at people around me because I had done this to myself. But I was worth more than this.

If I couldn't stand up for myself with my words, I could at least run away. So that's what I did.

"Olivia!" was all I cold hear from behind me but I didn't care to turn around.