04

ÁNGEL

The commission was created to help organized crime stay organized

The commission was created to help organized crime stay organized. They were in charge of preventing things like unnecessary wars, assist in all conflicts among the Italian-mafia families, and even to offer our assistance to the American government in exchange for getting them off our backs.

The head of the commission was the capo di tutti i capo, the boss of bosses, my father. Following him was no one other than Riccardo's father, Marco Mariani. Then, the head of the third family, Franco Bianchi.

"What was the purpose of this meeting, Siciliano?" Marco Mariani questioned, leaning back in his chair with his fingers interlocked over his chest.

The tension in the room was high and I couldn't help but wrap myself in it like a comforting blanket. Riccardo was glaring at me from across the long marble table as if he knew what was going through my mind while his older brother, Lorenzo, glared at me.

I glanced over at the Bianchi's to see Franco was listening to my father intently as well as his son.

"Marco, it appears to me that you're in a great deal of debt. When your shipment didn't fall through, you requested my services which wasn't free..." my dad began. "Not only that, but you've asked for money from both me and the Bianchi's."

His words managed to grasp the attention of Marco's sons as they turned to my father.

Marco chuckled unenthusiastically. "What is the point of this?"

"My son... he is going to take over my position as capo di tutti i capo soon. Very soon," my father explained, grasping my shoulder in his grip. Riccardo turned to me, jealousy raging within the depth of his eyes. It was enough to make me chuckle.

"The law states he has to marry first," Riccardo spoke up.

Marco slammed his fist down on the table, glaring at his son.

"You don't speak unless spoken to!" Marco snapped.

It was law that no one was allowed to speak in commission meetings unless they were the head of one of the families, or they were asked a question. However, that rule must've flown over the idiotic mind of Riccardo.

"You do have a point," my father told him before glancing at his father. "Marco, your son has a fiancée, my son does not. In exchange for her, all the millions that you owe to both me and the Bianchi's will be forgotten. However, if you do not agree to this, you will be out of the commission and we will not hesitate to see that your entire family goes down. We do not take money owed to us lightly, Marco. You should be grateful we have been this kind to you."