[02] grandmother

┌────────────┐MADDIE ALBAH└────────────┘

┌────────────┐
MADDIE ALBAH
└────────────┘

GRANDMOTHER

CAIRNS. HER parents took her to Cairns to see her grandparents. . . Maddie doesn't even like them. They're rude, have a boomer mindset and refuse to accept that modern day is better than it has ever been, and they're just completely and utterly racist.

How her mother was even allowed to marry her father is a complete mystery, to be honest. But with the looks her grandma and grandpa give Samuel, her father, weren't in any way accepting or kind. They were narrowed to slits, eyeing him from head to toe and said slurs toward him. Her father didn't confront them and tell them that what they were saying toward him was offensive and rude. Maddie just assumed he was afraid of what they might do if he spoke his mind to them. They were already scary to be around and she still had no clue as to why she was even here — in her grandparents' home.

Maddie sat on the wooden floor, a shaggy carpet between the couch she was leaning her back on and the TV on the wall, playing Bluey. Honey was seated between Maddie's outstretched legs, her head of short dark brown curls angled up toward the big screen TV. The child's tiny fingers were curled around Maddie's index fingers, not tight enough to lose circulation in either digits. Maddie sat comfortably as she watched the children's show as well, loving how the characters seemed relatable and didn't make her cringe watching. Unlike some other children's shows she's seen.

Her parents and grandparents were in the kitchen talking. About what exactly? She wouldn't know because she was on the other side of the house babysitting Honey, making sure she was safe and happy. And with the soft giggles coming from the eleven-month-old, Maddie was positive she was enjoying herself watching TV. Her small fingers gripping her older sister's and lifting them up, only to slam them down onto Maddie's thighs. She winced at her little sister's actions, she was stronger than she looked, chuckling nonetheless.

Honey continued with her actions as she raised her tiny hands, still gripping Maddie's index fingers, before slamming them both down for a second time. A loud giggle leaving the baby's glossy pink lips. The child's body between Maddie's legs started bouncing up and down in a random burst of energy. She wasn't in the mood to play, only wanting to be quiet and relax as she watched TV, but apparently Honey had other plans.

"Wanna play Honey?" Maddie whispered to her little sister. Honey removed her tiny fingers from around her older sister's and leaned forward, hands on the shaggy light grey-ish rug with a soft murky blue undertone, and raising her butt up toward Maddie's face. She grimaced at the diaper staring at her.

Maddie quickly held her hands beside her baby sister for assistance, Honey stood up grabbing onto Maddie's left hand and doing a little dance. She bounced up and down before slowly taking small, short steps to turn around, using Maddie's hand to stay steady. Once she was facing her older sister, Honey's naturally tanned skin glowing as a smile made its way to her tiny mouth. She started yelling gibberish as she continued with her little bouncing dance. Maddie watched silently with a peaceful smile on her pink lips.