[03] surprise

┌────────────┐MADDIE ALBAH└────────────┘

┌────────────┐
MADDIE ALBAH
└────────────┘

SURPRISE

"LOOK, HONEY—" Maddie said softly to her baby sister. She pointed up at the TV playing Fireman Sam— "it's our favourite show."

Facing Maddie, Honey was sitting on the shaggy greyish-blue carpet, reaching down and curling her tiny fingers around the soft bits and pulling. She continued her actions as she had a concentrating look on her baby face, brows down, glossy pink lips in a thin line, and a stare zoned in on what she was doing. At her sister's words, the baby girl looked up into her sister's cognac brown orbs, completely losing focus on her previous activity as her fingers loosen around the shaggy bits. Maddie pointed at the TV behind her. "Look."

In absolute baby innocence, her deep blue eyes showed no thoughts whatsoever. Honey fell backwards and lifted her head even further back as she stared up at the TV — upside down. She lifted her tiny fingers and pointed upward, babbling a series of gibberish at the TV playing the theme song.

"Maddie! Dinner's ready!" Vickie called out. "Bring Honey!"

Inside, Maddie was definitely not ready for the harsh stares and inappropriate questions. She could feel her shoulders tensing up as she reached for the remote on the couch behind her. Switching the TV off only resulted in ear-bleeding cries to reverberate off the walls of the lounge room. Maddie's heart dropped at the sound, her cognac brown eyes darting down to her little sister, raising her little hands up at the TV and grabbing the air.

"Honey, please don't cry," Maddie said softly, getting to her feet and picking the little girl up. She held her close to her chest, making sure to hush softly into Honey's ears in a futile attempt at settling her down. "We're gonna have dinner now."

As if telling an upset eleven-month-old dinner is ready was going to be the most exciting thing ever, more exciting than Fireman Sam. Obviously, dinner was just the gum under the beloved show's shoes. Honey didn't care, she continued to cry, hands reaching out for the blacked out TV screen as Maddie walked past. She entered the kitchen, big enough to have a dinner table right next to it, an elegant wooden table that could seat eight people if there were chairs at each end.

"Why is she crying?" Maddie's mother questioned, her tone was still vacant of empathy. Her mother leaned over the chairs to place a pot of mashed potato on the table, before standing up straight to look over to Maddie holding an upset Honey. Vickie's icy blue eyes narrowed down to slits, as if saying with her eyes: 'What did you do to her?!'

"She wanted to watch Fireman Sam," she answered meekly, starting to find it hard to breathe the longer her mother's blue eyes lingered on her. It was like someone was pushing on her chest, restricting her from breathing fully.