[04] show

┌────────────┐MADDIE ALBAH└────────────┘

┌────────────┐
MADDIE ALBAH
└────────────┘

SHOW

THE MILLISECOND before Maddie woke up, a wave of excitement and exhilaration plunged into her bloodstream, making her feel ready to enjoy life for — basically — the first time in her toxic life. It was only a minute before six, Maddie was laying on her back, cognac brown eyes staring up at the ceiling as she gnawed at the inside of her cheek, to the point she was starting to taste a bitter, metallic substance. Her left foot moved up and down, side to side, as she waited patiently for the sun to beam in through the thin white curtains, signalling it was time to get ready.

Today wasn't any regular, boring day during the week. Oh no, this was the best, most exciting day of Maddie's life since she was born. Because today, July 15th, 2018, on a beautiful Sunday morning is Maddie's birthday. Her eighteenth birthday. Now she's finally old enough to buy a packet of cigarettes if she wanted — which she won't because that's disgusting, drink alcohol legally this time, and maybe, just maybe her mother will get her a phone and allow her to go for her L's; just like all the other people her age with their L and P plates. You would think her mother being stupid rich, would mean she got the best, most expensive car for her sixteenth birthday, huh?

Pfft, Maddie got a pat on the back and a b-day card with five, green one hundred dollar notes inside, signed Love, Mum, & Dad.

But this year is different, because this year she's going to the Cairns Show in the afternoon with her mum, dad, grandparents and Honey. Maddie kept her beautifully red-toned brown eyes on the sun starting to slide down the wall in front of her. Honey was laying on the bed next to her, Maddie's body blocking her little sister's from rolling off the bed. She removed her eyes focusing on the wall and looked at her sister sleeping peacefully on her stomach beside her. Her little mouth was slightly ajar as saliva spilled out of her mouth, the corners of Maddie's lips twitched upward in amusement as she chuckled softly. She looked so adorable as she slept soundly, cheek squished into the mattress, tiny hand sitting in front of her face.

Today's going to be good, I just know it, Maddie thought to herself, bubbling with elation.

▬▬▬▬

Breakfast consisted of bacon and egg, toast with butter smeared over it, a glass OJ and a few lemon crispy biscuits as a treat. Majority of the food sitting in front of her on the dinner table was once in a blue moon type of food, her usual breakfast was a small bowl of plain oats, a glass of milk or water, and a serving of fruit. It was a part of her mother's diet assigned to her to follow to the T. It was a strict and disgustingly bland diet. So today, she was going to savour all of this food because she didn't know when she'd get the chance to have it again.