45

Alice Avery

It was the next morning, I was sat on the edge of the bed in my hotel room. Ever since I woke up I've replayed my encounter with Brooks over and over again. What the hell was I thinking? That's just it, I wasn't thinking at all. I enjoyed that kiss far too much then I should've, I wanted it to happen again. He was older and practically a stranger but he was a stranger I wanted to get to know.

Brooks and I had walked out like nothing happened. I rejoined Vince as he showed me around some more and introduced me to others. I went home shortly after, my excuse was that it was getting late but really I just needed to collet myself.

I took a hot shower once I woke up and I began to get ready. I didn't sleep well last night. Perhaps it was because I was thinking about today. Vince told me to come by the warehouse after sunset.

I planned to go home tomorrow, a part of me really missed Las Vegas. I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about Chicago after coming back after a year.

I hadn't checked my phone since yesterday and as I powered it on I awaited for what those texts from Ricky were.

I'm worried about you.

Don't do anything stupid.

Take care of yourself.

He continued to prove how much of a hypocrite he was, he was the one doing stupid things. I hated him, I fucking hated him, I hated myself too but I hated him more because he made me miss him.

I shut my phone off and tossed it on the bed as a knocked sounded at the door. I wearily walked to the door and put my hand on the doorknob and looked through the peephole. I let out a sigh when I saw Brooks.

I twisted the knob and pulled the door open. "Hi," I greeted casually with a smile; trying to cover up the fact that I got goosebumps around him.

He smiled back, "you busy right now?"

I shook my head. "I'm free."

"Good, I'm taking you out." He stood slyly in the doorway. He wore black dress pants with a matching button up. He was over dressed for wherever we'd be going.

I didn't hesitate to put my shoes on and walk out with him. Who was I becoming? Was this my revenge on Ricky? Was I using Brooks? No, I shook the thought away. I liked Brooks I was sure I did.

"You're distracted," Brooks said as we walked down the hotel hallway. "Is everything okay?"

"What? Yeah I'm okay." I fumbled as I picked at my nails, I was utterly confused with my very own thought.

"I'm not going to talk about last night unless you want to."

I looked him in the eye. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay."

I began comparing him to Ricky without even realizing it. I started with the simple thing, they had different hair color, Brooks was slightly taller than Ricky, Brooks was kinder and more mature. They did have something in common, I was a sucker for tattoos and they were both covered in the dark ink.

"Where exactly are we going?" I finally asked as we walked out the front doors of the hotel.

"Nothing extravagant, I just want to get to know you." Brooks opened the passenger side door for me and I climbed in. He wanted to get to know me? That was rare; I didn't expect it but I welcomed it.

Brooks drove smoothly through the main roads of Chicago. My first impression of Brooks was a fairly good one, he seemed normal despite his job. I needed normal, I really needed normal.