[16] period

┌────────────┐MADDIE ALBAH└────────────┘

┌────────────┐
MADDIE ALBAH
└────────────┘

PERIOD

TV WAS a good distraction, the noises and sounds coming from the speakers of the old, dusty box TV in Reece's living room, keeping her mind on one thing and not a million others. She didn't really know what she was watching, but what she could tell from all the scenes flashing on the scene, was cops chasing or pulling over cars that were suspected of doing drugs or stealing, or even — more dangerous — drinking and driving at ridiculous speeds.

It was around 10 AM, the sun's ray breaking through the glass windows to her left and down the hall where the kitchen was to her right. And it didn't help that Reece's walls were white, making the light only become brighter as it reflected off of them. Everything around it was just so bright, she preferred it darker — maybe she was becoming accustomed to the mattress room, slowly liking its darkness . . . it's protection.

What was happening to her?! None of what she was feeling should be okay, but it was slowly feeling normal. Her everyday and she didn't mind it.

Maddie was sitting on the tiled floor, a square pillow under her bottom, making sure her boney arse didn't hurt. A cup of iced water sat next to her, the condensation creating water bubbles on the outside of it before sliding down to the floor, a pool of water surrounding the bottom.

Milk wasn't around to keep her company because Reece made her stay outside, telling the small cat she needed to be more quiet, and that she can go hunt a bird if she was hungry. He only fed her wet food three times a day. Milk shouted protests, before Reece picked her up from in the kitchen and dropped her outside the door. He seemed agitated when he walked back inside, brows pulled in and creating wrinkles on his forehead, hand rubbing over his stubble and lips, sighing out his frustration. He was in the kitchen, she didn't smell anything being cooked and making her mouth salivate, so she guessed he wasn't in there to make food.

But she was craving chocolate. Badly. Or at least something sweet. She debated whether to go into the kitchen and ask for something sweet, but she wasn't sure how'd he react. If a dark look shadowed over his face and a burning, annoyed flame lit in his eyes; or he'd consider her and her question for a moment and grab her something, saying it was no worries that she wanted a sweet treat.

She just sat there, staring at the moving pictures on the TV scene as she thought of what to do. She got up onto her feet, though, hoping she wasn't interrupting anything he was doing in the kitchen. Walking down the hall, past the stairs and the front door, she got into the kitchen finding Reece leaning his lower back against the bench facing the windows and sliding door, to what looked like a side garden, overgrown and weed ridden. A jungle.