[17] pluto

┌────────────┐MADDIE ALBAH└────────────┘

┌────────────┐
MADDIE ALBAH
└────────────┘

PLUTO

ONE OF HER favourite movie was playing on the TV. Reece asked her what movie she wanted to watch yesterday for a movie night. She — without any second thoughts — said Titanic, the love between Jack and Rose making her desperately want to know if she was still able to feel sad and cry rivers down her cheeks. She was sitting on a square pillow on the floor, like she had been for the past few days, Reece sitting on the couch behind her, his knee resting lightly against her shoulder. He had Milk on his lap, gliding his fingers down the arch of her back, she could hear the heavy and loud purrs coming from the little cat.

Maddie continued to keep her eyes trained on the screen, afraid if she looked away she'd miss a big chunk of the movie. The both of them sat quietly, the only sounds coming from the TV speakers and Milk's happy sounds. This was nice, peaceful and calm — not the same type of nice as Reece's supposed definition of it and "attempting" to drown her, or at least that's what it felt like to her. . .

"The other day. . ." she began, dropping her gaze away from the pictures flashing by on the TV screen, trying to think of the best way to say her words. A furrow pulling her brows together.

"What about the other day?"

She raised her brows, turning around to look at him, finding him staring down at her. He looked so comfortable leaning back into the couch with Milk in his lap, he was anything but straight as he leaned to one side a bit more

"The waterfall—" she paused, feeling her throat being wrapped with barbed wire, struggling to get the next words out— "w—were you trying t—to drown me." She rushed it out so quickly, she was afraid she spoke too fast and he missed it, but when his hazel eyes widened down to her, she took it as a guess that he heard her perfectly fine.

"I was seeing what you would do," he said, his tone as flat as cement.

"What did you expect me to do?" Her brows only deepened more with curiosity and confusion, wrinkles between her dark brows being so close together.

"I don't think I should tell you right now — I don't think you're ready," he told her, eyes darting back behind her before returning to her cognac brown eyes. "Finish watching the movie, mhm?"

Her eyes squinted at him, confused and lost all of a sudden. "What movie?"

Reece seemed to mirror her confusion, only he looked more confused because of what she said. "We're watching Titanic, don't you remember? Look," he said, removing his hand from Milk's back and to whatever was behind her.

She turned around only to find the TV on and was indeed playing Titanic like he had said. "I don't remember. . . Were we just watching it?"

She turned around to face Reece looking even more shocked and concerned, his cheeks beneath his eyes tight and twitching as his eyes darted back and forth between hers. He adjusted his sitting position, sitting up a bit straighter than before and lifting Milk up and placing her on the cushion beside him. "Do you feel okay?" he asked, placing the back of his hand to her forehead. "You don't have a fever."