[19] case

┌────────────┐MADDIE ALBAH└────────────┘

┌────────────┐
MADDIE ALBAH
└────────────┘

CASE

SHE SAT on the island countertop, her senses engulfed by the salty fattiness of the bacon sizzling in the fry pan. Reece was by the stove taking out the golden brown toast from the toaster and dropping one on each plate, spreading some butter over them. It smelt so good; the bacon and eggs and fresh toast all combining in her lungs, it was making her mouth salivate. Although, today she felt extremely disconnected from everything around, more so than usually. She didn't really know why but everything just felt so out of reach. She couldn't even get out of bed this morning. Not because she didn't want to, but because she just felt so . . . depressed. Reece had ended up pulling her out of bed and into the bathroom to wash off last night's sweat. He had helped wash her hair but left afterwards so she could wash her skin. She lied when he had asked if she had done it, returning from somewhere in the house. He had given her a slight furrow to his brows and a questioning look in his eyes, mostly likely suspecting she hadn't, he didn't she anything, only placing fresh clothes down on the basin.

    She just wanted to let her life fly right past her as she laid on the floor and stared up at the ceiling aimlessly. But the only person stopping her from doing such a thing was the twenty-six-year-old standing by the stove cooking breakfast. He made sure she was eating three times a day, entertained by watching TV or playing with Milk when she was frisky. She didn't want to do all that, it made her crinkle her nose in distaste and groan out in protest.

    "Salt?"

    She darted her eyes from off the tile floors and looked at him. After her outburst two days ago, she's been quiet around him, it pained her when she thought back to it, those same emotions rushing over her and suffocating her to the point she was crying, recalling everything that had happened. Why couldn't he just tell her something as to why he goes quiet and changes the subject? She just wanted to understand his reasoning for doing it.

    She nodded her head softly and he gave her a whisper of a smile before sprinkling some salt onto the egg on her plate. She was still very much angry at him and hurt by him, and her silent treatment was just her trying to make him feel how she did. Yes, it was a bad thing to do, it would be better if she spoke to him about it in a more calming manner, compared to two days ago — when she burst all of it out like a firecracker. There were probably a thousand different ways of expressing her emotions to him than yelling and crying about it. Now she just felt embarrassed about it all, she would rather just forget about it happening.

    The insects crawling in her skin were still there, she could feel them everywhere; in her back, arms, face, neck, legs, feet! Alas, Reece continued to tell her they weren't there and it was all a part of her imagination. She tried to believe him, but the feeling was so freaking real, and she couldn't stop scratching her skin to the point it was red and inflamed. Multiple times she's thought about walking to the kitchen at 3 AM, grabbing the sharpest knife in the drawer possible, and just cutting her skin open so the insects could just leave her body. Unfortunately, the second she would see her crimson blood flowing out of the cut and covering her arm, dripping onto the kitchen floor, she'd faint in a split second at the sight. It would most likely look like a murder scene. The murderer? Her.