"it was a bad idea,"

"Wake up!" The Matron shrieked loudly, walking up and down the rows of beds which were full of sleeping girls

"Wake up!" The Matron shrieked loudly, walking up and down the rows of beds which were full of sleeping girls. The high pitched scream woke up most of the girls, groaning slightly as they sat up. Almost all of them suffered from back pains due to the uncomfortable, stiff mattresses.

They all flung their thin blankets off of them as it was mid summer and they refused to pay for air conditioning. There was around 15 girls in the room, all of which were making their bed again. All but one.

Still sleeping peacefully, the blanket pulled up to her chin, was 11 year-old Ophelia Thompson. As the Matron wandered back through the rows, she noticed the sleeping girl and stormed over to her bedside, her heels clicking on the floor behind her.

"Wake up Thompson." She spat as she glared down at the girl. They called all the children there by their last name, a reminder of their families who didn't want them.

Slowly, the girl opened her eyes, her eyebrows furrowing when she saw a pair of polished black shoes. Her dark eyes then followed the figure up until she met the stern face of the Matron.

It was logical to mistaken the carer of the children as a poltergeist which haunted the halls of St Joesph's Home for Children. Her pale skin had became loose over the years, allowing skin the collect and hang off her neck. Every time you were breaking a rules such as wandering the hallways at night, you would pray to not meet her cold eyes. They looked like two small black beatles which appeared to have a glint of malice at all times.

Most of her grey hair was tucked into a white veil and her loose hanging dress would ominously flow behind her, cutting the air like a knife.

Ophelia's eyes widened when she realised who was stood at her bedside and instantly jumped up, twisting her ankle as she did so. "It's seems like Miss Thompson has became lazy." She announced loudly, spitting the girl's surname maliciously.

"You will receive 20 hits of the cane as your punishment." The Matron added before turning back at the other girls who had stopped to watch them. "Did I tell you to stop?" She asked which made them jump and continue what they were doing before she left, the click of her heels following her out.

Ophelia sighed loudly. She felt like she could still feel the stinging pain on her leg from the last time she was caned for pushing a girl into a rose bush.

St Joesph's Home for Children was a Victorian mansion which was originally owned by an extremely worthy man who used the nearby docks to become rich. It was rumoured he had passed away in the master bedroom of the house which belonged to the Matron.

The Children's Home was a mixed gender institution however the boys were located in a different wing and they were barely allowed to be in contact.  The rules also followed the Victorian style, mostly in the punishments given to the children.

A couple of the surrounding girls snickered at the girl, whispering loudly so she could tell they were talking about her but Ophelia decided to ignore them.