CHAPTER III

"Rhea....Where are you going? Stop!"

The Countess clutched my wrist to stop me from walking while I was planning on striding into the house, where Ryker stood, making a mess with all his yelling and his underlings throwing and breaking the decorations.

"Don't stop me, mama. We have to talk. Nothing will come out of us staying quiet and him acting like this."

"..I know...and we talked last time...so don't worry, I'll handle this. You take Lia to her room and stay inside unless I come to get you."

"I am sorry, but I can't do that."

"Please. It's for your own safety. What if they decide to take one of you as hostage? Think of Lia...Rhea..."

Sighting her pleads, I grit my teeth in frustration and stopped trying to make my wrist free from her grasp. My shoulders slump as I nod and mumble,

"..Okay...But be safe...got it?"

"I got it, my dear. Now hurry up. Go inside from the back door. Reynold will be with you."

She softly added before she glanced at the butler, Reynold and both Olivia and Holly, signalling them to follow her and soon they went to the source of the noise. I observe their figures disappear inside the building, after which I take Lia's hand and head to the back door with Reynold walking ahead us. One of the four entries into the house. We take the back stairs and head straight into Lia's room in the fourth floor. After getting inside, Lia looks at me with a flinch of fear in her eyes,

"Where is mama? What's going on?"

"Lia. You're a good girl, right? Good girls listen to their elder sister, right? Then please won't my good dear Lia listen to my request?"

"What happened?"

"I am going to get mama. Until then why don't you lay down? Or play with your bunny friend?"

I promptly hand the nearby big, almost her size white stuffed toy bunny to her, who she takes from me saying.

"His name is Mr. Fluffy."

"Okay then Mr. Fluffy will give you company. But please don't leave this room, okay? Reynold will also play with you. It's a game to see who stays silent the most, got it?"

"That sounds boring."

She instantly pouted. But how else do I tell a 5 year old to stay quiet without making a sound. I look at Reynold for help who fortunately gets what I was attempting to say and looked at Lia while adding,

"Young miss, it will be fun. Don't worry."

"Okay. If you say so."

"I will be back then. Reynold, stay with Lia. Don't abandon her."

"I will...but Miss...you should also be staying here. It's not secure."

"Reynold, we can't always be on the run. Somethings need to be faced."

After announcing those words, I hastily left the room and went downstairs. It had suddenly become so tranquil that I was petrified of what was going on. But as I gradually got closer, I heard harsh noises.

"I need my money Countess, whether you compensate it with your lives or with your daughter."

My pupils dilated at the words and scene I witnessed.

Ryker was holding and twisting mama's arm, while he hissed those words.

I unintentionally ended up stepping with force, the heel collided with the marble floor with a huge thump. This sound startled everyone and all their attention came to me. Mama's eyes went wide upon sighting me. She strictly advised me not to come here so she must be furious but I wasn't intimidated of her anger right now. Because I felt more cross than her. I already didn't enjoy the plot of this story, but all of this added to my frustration and annoyance. Something didn't add up. Sure he lent us money, and it was a huge sum but if you go according to rules there's a deadline and there is also a thing called instalments. But this guy was hell bent on acquiring his money back. Why? And what irritated me on top of that was that he emphasised more on getting married to Rhea which right now was me. Just why?