39: Skateboard

Three days passed, and I hadn't seen Antonio since the heated kiss we'd shared. Frankly, I felt too nervous to face him and acknowledge our intimate moment. It was strange, how I was able to talk to him endlessly, how I could tell him secrets I'd never dare tell anyone else, yet I was afraid to tell him how I felt.

"Allow me to get this straight," Romano raised his eyebrows. "You told Antonio to kiss you, he did, then you ran away from him, and now you've been avoiding him for the past three days?"

"Correct."

Blue eyes alight, Lily began to squeal. "I knew it!"

She obnoxiously stuffed her face with the bowl of chips that was neatly placed in the center of the bed for the three of us to share.

"Careful," Romano screeched, "I just made my bed."

"Whatever, clean freak," Lily rolled her eyes. "Anyways, it was only a matter of time before something happened between the pair of you. Admit it—you like him!"

"I think we've established that already," I rolled my eyes and dramatically collapsed onto the pillow propped against the headboard. "I'm just not sure that's a good thing."

"Of course it is!" Lily exclaimed, flailing her hands so widely that she narrowly missed Romano's face. "Stop making it complicated. You're just scared to give in to your feelings because you've experienced so much loss in your life. Your father dying before you were even born, your mother dying right in front of you, the constant moving from town to town... you've never had anything permanent. You're afraid to like him because you're scared it's just temporary. You're afraid he'll leave."

Romano and I gaped at her in shock.

"Or at least, that's what I'd say if I were your therapist," she added, carelessly reaching for another handful of chips.

"Alright, that's enough." Romano blinked after a moment. "You. Out."

"Me?" I quirked a brow. "What have I done? She's the one getting crumbs all over your bed."

"Hey!" Lily indignantly yelped.

Nonetheless, Romano ushered me off of his bed.

"Go find Antonio." He swiftly ordered. "Lily's right, for once. You need to stop avoiding him. You clearly have feelings for the guy, now go get him!"

I gaped as Romano forcefully pushed me out of his bedroom. "Wh—you're being ridiculous. I don't even know where he is!"

"Check anywhere but here. He's hardly ever home."

My heart stopped as I inferred his words. Of course, Romano had no idea why Antonio was hardly ever home. He was staying away from his abusive father. Before I could say anything further, Romano slammed the door in my face.

"Goodnight to you too," I frowned before pivoting.

As I bounced down the stairs and out of the grand house, I mulled over Lily's words. You're afraid to like him because you're scared it's just temporary. You're afraid he'll leave. She wasn't wrong. Not one bit.

As I sighed and treaded off the front porch, I slowed to a stop once I realized a car was pulling up on the stone driveway–a very clean and expensive car. My breath hitched when I saw who emerged from the driver's seat. Clad in a professional business suit was Antonio's father.