Chapter Twenty - Ruthless

I stared at the large door to my house with unease. I wondered how my mother would react to my coming home. We'd never gotten into any disagreements mostly because I never gave her any reason to have a disagreement, but I never had to see this side of her. This was the business side of her I was about to witness and there was a reason she had maintained all of my late father's businesses so well - she was ruthless. 

I opened the door slowly and walked inside. My nose was assaulted with my mother's signature perfume so I knew she was waiting for me.

"Olivia," Came the sharp tone from the living room.

I turned slightly to look at her. I knew that my wearing Avery's loose jeans, white tank top, and my hair messily brushed into a top knot would irritate her to no end. She believed in being properly presentable at all times. My mother looked like she did even when she woke up in the morning. I genuinely had no idea how she accomplished that.

"Hello, mother." I replied formally.

"Sit," She gestured to the couch next to her.

I walked into the living room and sat down tentatively.

After a moment's silence, my mom spoke clearly and forcefully, "There's no need to discuss what I've already spoken to you about. My disappointment in this matter will not be forgotten."

"I'm sorry you feel that way." I said quietly. What else could I say?

"I want to know about this new beau."

"We're not dating," I sighed in frustration, "we're just friends."

"It certainly seems as though he comes to your rescue." My mother raised an eyebrow.

"He picked me up when I was being ganged up on. That's what friends do."

She gave me a disapproving look, "Does his family have money?"

"Not that I'm aware of." I replied shortly.

"Does his family have connections? What do his parents do?"

This is all she cared about. She didn't care that Alexander was talented or caring or protective. That he'd helped me stand up for myself more in a couple of months that I'd been able to on my own for years was of no relevance to her. All she cared about was her image. "His dad was a lumber yard worker." I replied. I relished in the shocked look that crossed her face. I loved that I was the one who put that look on her face.

"A lumber yard worker? This is the man you've set your sights on."

"You'd prefer me to be with someone who's cheated on me? That's what you want for my life?"

"Aaron did not cheat on you, Olivia."

I snorted, "Is that what he told you? I assure you, he did. Though he'd love to cover that fact up now ironically."

"If he did, why would he tell me he wanted to marry you?" She asked.

My mouth gaped open. "He asked to marry me." I said as more of a statement than a question.

"Of course, Olivia. He loves you." My mother replied. "Don't you think I can siphon through the serious suitors and those that are only there to waste your time? You're my daughter. I want what's best for you. Riding off into the night on the back of a motorcycle and being with this person who is no one and is going nowhere is not what's best for you. Aaron comes from a good family. He is a good man. Whatever differences you two have had can be resolved."

I stood up. I was tired of hearing this. Don't allow yourself to feel like a victim. "That's enough."

"Excuse me?" She snapped glaring at my stance.

"Have you ever stopped to consider that I don't want your life? I don't want this empty house or this cold relationship that we will forever have? I don't want to marry a cheating asshole just because he has money. I don't care about luxury. I don't care about designer clothes. I want to be a teacher. I want to help bring joy to people's lives and I want to be with someone who makes me happy as I do so. If you can't be on board with what makes me happy, as my mother, than I don't think I can stay here anymore." My throat was dry and my I could feel my heart thumping in my head. I was scared but I also felt free. More free than I had felt in a long time.

"And where will you go?" My mother questioned.

"Anywhere else is looking pretty great right now. If you want to mend this relationship, you have my number. But I'm done being weak and following whatever whims you're feeling at the moment." I turned on my heel and walked upstairs to my room.

I took out my largest suitcase and started piling clothes inside. I pulled out my phone from my back pocket and wiped my eyes before I texted.

Olivia: Can you pick me up?

Avery: On my way. Should I bring my bat?

Olivia: Just your car. I'd heavily consider anger management if I were you

Avery: My dad says I'm fine

Olivia: That's all that counts

I wheeled the suitcase down the stairs and opened the front door of the house. I looked back and saw my mother still sitting where she was on the couch in the living room. She was tapping away on her phone. I wondered if she would even care that I was leaving. She spent the majority of her time traveling so I doubted this meant much for her.

Avery rolled in a minute later and she helped me put the suitcase in her car without asking any questions. I knew she was dying to know what happened that made me snap. I was as well. There she was praising Aaron to the skies when he was a cheating, lying, man-child. And she has the nerve to mock this person that had been a more stable influence in my life in the last couple of months than she had ever been in years. It made me see red.

I climbed in the car and looked back at the house that had been a sort of home for some time for me. I felt more at ease already.

"I just need to say something," Avery began and I braced myself for the questions. "You really need to brace yourself for a 24/7 Tommy."

I laughed turning to face her, relieved that I didn't have to talk about things yet.

"I'm serious," Avery laughed, "you think he's cute now but just wait until you're living with him. You think his crush on you is cute now? Give it two days and you'll want to beat him to death with a club."

"I think I'll live," I smiled. Tommy was one of the only guys in my life that I could deal with. Aaron was turning out to be a leach I couldn't get off of me soon enough. Alexander was a story of his own.

Avery pulled into her driveway and I pulled my suitcase out from the trunk.

"Are you sure it's okay that I'm staying here?" I asked Avery, feeling nervous all of a sudden.

"Are you kidding? I'm pretty sure my parents love you more than they love inscriptions. That's a lot." Avery clarified.

"Olivia, don't pick that up. I've been working out five times a week, I'll do it." Tommy walked out of his house and sauntered over grabbing my suitcase. I heard him mutter an "oomph" as he grabbed it.

"Thanks, Tommy. I'm noticing the abs there," I teased.

"Heh. Just wait six months. That's what my trainer has let me know." He said back to me.

"You mean your other thirteen year old friend, Frank?" Avery cut in.

"Frank is more a trainer than you'll ever be!" Tommy retorted. "I'd like to see you lift seventy pounds!"

"You sound better with your mouth closed," Avery stated.

"Mom!" Tommy called taking my suitcase along with his complaints into the house.

"You're so mean to him," I laughed.

Avery's eyes twinkled mischievously, "It's literally my job as his older sister."

I'd never seen a more functional family or sibling relationship than Avery's family and Avery with Tommy. I spent all of my childhood wishing I had a sibling so that I could have someone look out for me the way Avery did with Tommy. But her family had become like my own, now more than ever.