08.

After being driven back to Jujutsu High by Ichiji by Gojo's orders, Ichiji had bought him lunch on the way back before he was taken to the dorm to rest. Kai couldn't rest properly whilst worrying about Megumi, Itadori, and Gojo. He hated it when they would go on missions to exorcise curses but Kai knew that he couldn't do anything to stop them because it was what they were supposed to do as Jujutsu sorcerers. 

A lifestyle that his parents tried to escape from. At first, he didn't really understand why his dad would leave his family behind to move away somewhere else to start a new life. But after seeing first-hand the life of a Jujutsu sorcerer, it clicked in his mind why his father was so afraid. Living a life where you're constantly killing something out of the ordinary is a gamble. 

There's no guarantee that just because you're born a little more powerful than other humans meant that the safety of your life was guaranteed. As a Jujutsu sorcerer, it meant putting your life on the line to save humans and protect them. Some are thrown into the fire from birth whilst others willingly walk into the burning flames well aware of what they're getting into.

His dad just wanted to live a simple and normal life but his family wouldn't let him. They wanted him to carry on the legacy of the long line of Jujutsu sorcerers that upheld his family but Kai's dad refused and ran away with Kai's mom in order to start a life away from his family. 

It was what Kai's dad wanted so why had he treated them so horribly? Why had he disregarded Kai's mom's love for him? Wasn't there a time when they both truly loved each other and would lay down their lives for each other? What changed? Was it Kai's existence that changed their relationship?

Kai had plenty of questions that he needed the answer to but there wasn't any way now he could get the answers he needed because his parents were dead and he was left on earth to decide what was right or wrong. He was only six years old but felt so grown up already. He didn't know what it felt like to be a child his age anymore. He stopped going to school after staying in Jujutsu High. He wasn't ready to be in a social environment with other children his age.

They would think he's a freak and shun him. 

It's not Kai's fault he was this way. He's only the product of the environment he grew up in. 

When Megumi, Itadori, and the new student returned from their mission, Kai's eyes immediately lingered on the injuries they sported and his eyes widened. Kai slid off the couch and rushed over to Megumi, clinging onto his leg. 

Megumi blinked down at him in surprise. "Kai?" his eyes slowly widened in realization when he saw that Kai was nervously eyeing his injuries. "Oh, don't worry about those. I'm fine."

"Eh? What about me?" Itadori asked, pointing at himself. 

"And me? Gosh, it really feels crappy to be hated by a child," Kugisaki scoffed, folding her arms against her chest and turning her head away from Kai.