2

They went right into the office. Merlin still really wanted to take a shower, but Iris was having none of it, anxious to get started. She skipped inside and sat down at her desk. Merlin sat down at his with much less skipping. Iris tapped her fingers restlessly on the desk and immediately started chewing on her pen, a habit that Merlin had tried to get her to stop many times.

"What do you think was up with that dress she was wearing?" she asked around the pen.

"Sorry? I can't hear you over the sound of you gnawing on that pen like it's a piece of meat," Merlin retorted. Iris shot him a glare and and kept chewing on the pen. Merlin sighed. "The killer dressed her like that."

"I know that," Iris exclaimed. "I meant why?" Merlin knew why.

"No clue."

"We should figure out where the dress is from once we have it in evidence." Merlin nodded in agreement, then turned on his computer. He checked his emails while he waited. Iris was playing some game on her phone. Finally, her phone chimed and she stood up.

"Bailey's ready for us down in autopsy." Merlin stood up and they both got into the elevator. The frigid air hit them as soon as the doors opened. Iris shivered. "How are you not cold?" she asked, sounding very angry about it. Merlin just shrugged. As time had passed, his magic had only gotten more powerful. His magic now regulated his body temperature, meaning he never got too cold, and he never got too hot, unless he wanted to.

The doors to autopsy opened with a hiss and it got even colder. It was always cold and dreary down here, fitting for the coroner William Bailey, who was also cold and dreary.

"Oh, you're here," the man said when they entered. Merlin and Iris shared a look. Elodie Adams was on the table, but she was already sewn back up after the autopsy.

"What do you have for us William," Iris said. Bailey glared at her.

"It's Dr. Bailey to you Detective Campbell."

"Of course, William." Bailey looked about ready to explode.

"Dr. Bailey," Merlin interjected before things could get out of hand. "Cause of death?" Bailey sent one last glare at Iris, who just smiled sweetly at him.

"Stab wound to the abdomen. There were shards of metal in the wound that I've already sent over to Ms. Davidson. Whatever it was, it was large. It shredded her liver and took a chunk of her right lung. There were no signs of a struggle or of sexual assault. There were no traces of DNA on her body that didn't belong to her, but I have sent her clothes to Ms. Davidson for closer examination, and you can find all of this in my report, just like always."

"Oh but we do so enjoy your company William," Iris said, still smiling. Merlin was still staring at the girl on the table. He couldn't shake the connection he felt he had to her.

"Did she have any tattoos?" he asked. Bailey looked surprised.

"Yes actually, which is also in my report." Bailey used on gloved hand to turn over Ms. Adams' right wrist. On the inside was a mark. Three swirls, all connected. The mark of a druid. Iris looked thoughtful.

"Isn't that the alpha, beta, omega thing?" She asked.

"That's a good theory," Merlin replied, although inwardly he was rolling his eyes. She'd been watching way too much Teen Wolf. "It's probably just a tattoo."

"Then why'd you ask about it?" Iris asked.

"I was just curious. She's 23 and from Florida. It's no surprises that she has a tattoo." Iris laughed and Merlin nearly sighed in relief.