The Assassin

Link was quick to react. Grabbing the pot's wooden lid from the ground, he swiftly raised it as the two arrows embedded themselves into it. Lowering the makeshift shield, he looked around, trying to find his attacker.

His head perked up as he heard a familiar sound behind him. He ducked, just as Tanis appeared behind him in a cloud of smoke, viscous sickle drawn as he swung at him.

Reacting quickly, Link grabbed the soup ladle and blocked the blade. He pushed his attacker's arm back before quickly smacking him in the face with the large spoon, making the assassin flinch and buying him enough time to toss his cooking tools aside and grab his actual weapons from the ground, including his thunderspear.

Link stood there, pointing the weapon at his foe, the tip crackling with electricity. The wind howled around them as they faced each other.

"You may be good at avoiding me, but eventually, the eye of the Yiga will always find you." Tanis said.

Link simply stood there, silent.

"You have no words for the son of the man you killed? Well then, I'll make sure you scream before I take your life!" The last few words he shouted as he rushed Link down. The young Hylian was quick to react, blocking the blade with the blunt part of his weapon, before jabbing the tip at him.

The tip of the spear slashed across his side, electrocuting him and opening up a gash, drops of blood hitting the snow, staining it with crimson red.

"Argh!"

Link jabbed at him again, but Tanis quickly vanished in a cloud of smoke. He reappeared up in the air, his duplex bow drawn as he fired at Link. The Champion leapt out of the way as the arrows hit the ground.

Quickly pulling out the Great Eagle Bow, he knocked a bomb arrow and aimed it up in the air. As he let it loose, Tanis vanished into a puff of smoke again, the projectile aimlessly flying through the cloud. The assassin reappeared right behind Link and slashed him in the back. The Champion held back a cry of pain as swapped his bow for his spear, the two engaging in melee combat.

Just as they did, the bomb arrow hit the ground, causing some snow to slide down. As the two fought, they heard rumbling. They quickly turned their heads to see an avalanche headed straight for them, quickly growing in both size and speed.

Reacting quickly, Tanis kicked Link in the legs, knocking him down before running off.

"Gah!"

"Rest in hell!" the assassin said as he ran off and disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

Getting up as quickly as possible, the young Hylian pulled out his kite shield and began to surf down the mountain in an attempt to outrun the avalanche.

Unfortunately for him, the way he was sliding was not a good one. Link saw a large crevasse in the distance, and he was headed right forward. With no way for him to turn, he knew he'd have to head straight for it.

"Maybe I can paraglide over it in time."

He leaned forward, trying to gain as much speed as possible to make the jump. He was almost there, just a few meters more and...

Wham!

The avalanche caught up to him, sweeping him off the cliff.

"Ahhh!"

He hit the ground with a thump as everything went black.

The next morning

Link woke up, his body feeling sore from the fall. He stumbled up to his feet and looked around. He was in some form of cave system. Large pieces of rock were held up by several natural stone pillars, creating a sort of ceiling. Between these rocks, sunlight shone in, as loose pieces of snow slipped down and slowly fluttered down onto the ground, creating a few small piles of it here and there.