Friends

Xela

I softly press the palm of my hand to my eye, then observe the blood that stained my hand. I sink down the wall onto my butt and close my eyes, hating how I can already feel my left eye swell. I just want to sleep, especially after everything that happened today. I'm exhausted.

If only I didn't have to get alcohol, I think as I uncrumble the piece of paper to see an order of drinks Paul wants. I take a few minutes of just sitting in silence until I force myself to my feet. It's better that I get out of here before Paul gets impatient and gives me another visit.

After I grab my fake ID from the top drawer of my dresser, I throw on a light jacket and head out. The sun is long gone, leaving me with darkness as I walk into town in search of a liquor store.

I'm almost through my poker winnings, which just tempts me to return even more. Not only do I make an unreal amount of money, but it is so fun for me to bet and play. My dad actually played poker with me when I was younger, not with money or anything since I was just seven, but he taught me some of the basics.

Shaking that thought from my mind, I enter a liquor store, giving the clerk a smile as I walk into one of the aisles. It takes me a little to find everything on Paul's list, but eventually I do. Now the stressful part; checking out.

I set the bottles on the counter before pulling money from my pocket. "Id?" The clerk asks, thankfully not looking too suspicious of me. "Of course" I smile, opening my wallet and flashing the fake ID that Aliza and I got together last year. He barely even looks at it.

His gaze lingers on my face, making me slightly uncomfortable as I grab my change and slip the bottles into my sinch bag. All the booze is heavy to walk with, but what else can I do.

The cold air hits me when I step out of the building, but I take it in and allow myself to relax during my walk. After I'm almost out of town and at my neighborhood, a wave of dizziness washes over me in what I guess is fatigue from not eating in two days. I walk to the nearest shop and lean against the wall outside for a moment.

"Is that Smitty?" A voice shouts to the left of me. Before I even turn, I know who it is. "What are you doing here!" I say, turning and walking over to two familiar boys and one familiar girl, completely ignoring my dizziness. Joey is the first to walk towards me, embracing me into a big hug. I ignore how much this hurts my back.

"Just passing through on our way to Vegas." Joey explains as I give Tread and Holly each a hug. "I've missed you so much!" Holly squeals after our hug. Joey Tread and Holly are three of Aliza and I's friends from a long time ago. The three of them are all foster siblings, and have been tossed around in the system together until meeting us. We met around the age of twelve and used to always hang out together, but lost touch when they moved across town into another family.

"Why are y'all heading for Vegas?" I question.

"It's my birthday soon, so these two are taking me gambling!" Holly exclaims, punching Tread on the arm playfully. "Wait why are you even here?" Tread asks, that's when it hit me that I never told them I was moving, I mean how could I have. "My mom got remarried, so here I am." I tell them, purposefully leaving out the details.

"So that's why Aliza was here." Holly says. "Aliza is here?" I repeat, shock clear in my voice.

"You didn't know?" Joey asks, "She is staying with us we were just heading back to our hotel."