𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

Faerchester was not just a school, but a symbol of the elite, the powerful, and the privileged. As the oldest and most prestigious institution of higher learning in the nation, it was renowned for its exceptional faculty and commitment to shaping the future leaders of the aristocracy.

~

"Such utter nonsense," Lady Dylan muttered, her finger tracing the expensive-looking binding of the book. "History is always flawed," she whispered, "it never tells the whole truth."

"Is everything alright, my lady?" her tutor asked, sounding annoyed as he peered over the rim of his glasses. "You're whispering to yourself again. I hope my lecture isn't too dull for you to pay attention."

Your lecture is all just a bunch of elitist propaganda, she thought to herself. It's a history story written by those in power, with their own agendas and biases.

Dylan's lips curled into a forced, polite smile. "Of course," she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "I couldn't possibly be more captivated by your lecture."

As he heard her response, the tutor let out a weary sigh and shut his copy of the history book with a resounding thud. He paused for a moment, his furrowed brow revealing the inner struggle of deciding whether to voice his thoughts or remain quiet. 

"Go on," Lady Dylan egged him on, a small smirk playing at the corner of her lips. "I know there's something you wish to say to me."

"You must know, my lady," the tutor began, his tone measured, "that the school utilizes entrance exam marks to rank its students hierarchically. However, one's level of performance during these exams isn't always enough to guarantee success." 

"You're referring to the Coats System, right?" Lady Dylan asked, already familiar with the system that ranked students into three levels based on their academic performance. "Grey is considered the lowest level, Black is the highest, and Red is the—"

"Rarest," her tutor interjected.

If you were born into a wealthy and powerful noble family, you were guaranteed a Black Coat upon entering Faerchester. While receiving a Black Coat was seen as an impressive accomplishment, it was essentially handed to nobles on a silver platter.

However, for commoners, obtaining a Grey Coat was the best they could hope for. Faerchester was rigged to favour nobles, so even if a commoner was exceptionally intelligent, they could only receive a Grey Coat. In fact, a Grey Coat was considered a favourable outcome for commoners, as it allowed them to attend the prestigious institution.

A Red Coat, on the other hand, was reserved for the top 2% of students who scored exceptionally well on the examinations. Achieving a Red Coat was an incredible honour, reserved only for the brightest minds in history. 

"Indeed, my lady," the tutor spoke softly. "The hierarchy within Faerchester holds great significance and should be approached with caution. It is not a topic that should be discussed lightly."

Faerchester was created by a previous king of Oberon who recognized the importance of education for the kingdom's advancement and prosperity. However, as time went on, the monarchy introduced the Coats System, which further solidified the existing class divide and oppressed the commoners, leaving them at a disadvantage compared to the nobility. The Coats System was designed to keep the power and privileges of the nobles intact, while limiting the opportunities available to the commoners.

"That'll be all for today's lesson," he sighed, adjusting his glasses on his face. "Are you feeling confident about your upcoming entrance exam?"

"Considering how I live here," she said with a chuckle, her eyes tracing the library's soaring bookshelves and taking in the golden detailing. "I doubt the Duke's daughter has anything to worry about."