Chapter 81

Esmeray loved being a werewitch.

One, it had been very easy to put a boundary spell over the warehouse to keep any unwanted guests from getting in. She'd added an extra component (due to Keelin's brilliant idea) that would make the boundary trap anyone in a one hundred meter radius in spiderwebs, so Esmeray could see who was following them and deal with them accordingly.

Two, she was able to do a spell to keep the venom-extracting mask from inflicting too much pain on Keelin.

"This is totally not kinky," said Keelin, trying to diffuse the tension. "I'm not into this sort of thing."

"Trust me, neither am I," said Esmeray, adjusting the mask before slipping it onto Keelin, making the wolf wince. "I'm sorry. I know it still hurts a bit. Just ten minutes, that's all it should take to extract enough venom."

Keelin nodded slowly, squeezing her eyes shut. Esmeray moved off to the side, opening the lids of each of the coffins to reveal the sleeping bodies of Freya, Elijah, Kol, and Rebekah. She then took out her vials of venom and her prepared mortar and pestle with herbs already inside of it. She started to crush the herbs, setting some burning sage on the side before using chalk to draw an unfortunately lopsided star that had seven peaks.

She wove her hand over the star, making it even where some of the lines had curved themselves. Yet another reason to be thankful about her magic.

"Everything's ready," she muttered to herself, setting the six vials on six of the peaks, leaving the last empty vial for Keelin's venom. Freya would need to be the one performing the spell, as she'd been the one who put them to sleep in the first place.

Esmeray could hear movement outside, and rolled her eyes, knowing that whoever had been following them had now arrived. She moved toward the warehouse entrance, seeing three suburbans pulling up. From inside of each, nine vampires emerged, and they split to try the different entrances to the warehouse, only to find spiderwebs shooting out and trapping them in place.

"Ooh, I'm gonna pitch this idea to Marvel," said Esmeray with a grin, seeing that nearly all of the vampires were trapped. Only a few lingered free, and they weren't about to get any closer to the warehouse.

Apparently, they thought something else might work. She saw them pulling out a few guns, and they started to fire a few rounds at the wall. From inside, she wove her hands, and the spiderwebs wrapped around the bullets before sending them bouncing back the way they came, hitting the vampires and successfully trapping all of them.

Esmeray's phone rang to let her know Keelin's ten minutes were up. She quickly removed the mask, handing her a bottle of water and some yogurt to enjoy while she put the venom in the final vial and set it on the star.

"Okay, Freya," she said, going to the eldest Mikaelson's coffin. "Wakey wakey." She put her hand on her forehead and concentrated, managing to jump back as Freya shot up, clutching her chest and gasping for air.

"Good afternoon," chirped Esmeray, offering her a hand to get up. "How do you feel?"

"Fine," said the witch, catching her breath after a moment and climbing out of the coffin. "Did you get everything?" Esmeray nodded. "Good, I need to begin. If I can't turn all that into a cure, Elijah and Kol are going to die."

"Jeez, thanks for lifting my spirits," said Esmeray, seeing that Keelin looked pretty shocked with the revelation that Freya might not succeed. "Do you need me to help, or something? Why wouldn't it work?"

"Well, we've never done this before," said Freya, kneeling down by the bowl and the vials. "We're trying a spell for the first time, and there's no guarantee it'll work."