The Eye of Pincosta

Varian and I were sitting on the roof of the caravan. I was shuffling my tarot deck and he sat across from me looking somewhat bored with his head placed in his hand. I finished shuffling the cards and spread them out for him. "How many should I take?" He asked and I shrugged my shoulders. "However many you feel is necessary." I said and he nodded. He took a few cards and handed them back to me.

I put the rest of the deck back inside the box and laid down the cards he handed back to me. I turned the first card over to reveal a picture of his back and Rapunzel staring down at him with a glare. "You're still holding onto what happened. It's been almost a year now, love." I said looking up at him and he stared down at the card with a glare. "What's the next one?" He asked not wanting to hear the same rant I give him every few months.  I sighed and turned over the next card.

The image on the card was split in half with Varian in the middle. The left side of the card was yellow, and the right side was blue. He was wearing a bandana around his neck, a large black jacket, and vials around his torso. He was on his knees with his hands in his black and blue hair.

"In the future you're going to have to make a decision that you won't like. Both outcomes have bad consequences to them. It seems like there's no hope and it's going to cause you to feel like all has failed." I said and looked up at him to see his eyes staring down at the card and gulped. "A-am I going to...you know?" He asked asked scared and I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm not sure."

I flipped over the next card. The background was covered in yellow and he was smiling brightly in a red vest and a white button up. His father was by his side out of the amber, Ruddiger was around his shoulders, and I stood next to him as well. "While the choice in the last card is very difficult, if you make the right decision, everything should turn out just fine. Better than fine actually. You're happy!" I said a smiling up at him and he only nodded.

I flipped over the last card and the background was covered in the same blue from earlier. Varian was sat on his knees hunched over with his hands covering his face. Ruddiger was sat behind him with a paw placed on his back. In the background to the right was a silhouette of the amber we left back in Corona almost a year ago. To the left was a dark shadow of someone being hung.

"If you make the wrong decision, it will feel like your entire world will come crashing down. You won't have anyone left except Ruddiger. You'll live out the rest of your days swallowed by your own sorrow and thoughts of what should have been." I said softly and he stared down at the cards. "Where will you be?" He asked not looking at me. "Do you want me to be honest or do you want me to lie?" I asked and he looked up at me. "Please...be honest." I sighed and pointed to the hung figure. "Based on the previous card, I can only assume that the hung figure is me." I said and he stared down at the card once more.

"So to put it simply...in the future...I practically decide if you live?!" He asked and I bit my lip before nodding. I watched as he ran his gloved hands through his hair. "Hey, hey, calm down." I said softly as I placed my hands in his. "I know you'll make the right decision. And if you don't, well, let's just say I'm going to have quite the time haunting you." I said trying to lighten the mood. "Are you trying to joke about you dying right now?!" He said and I shrugged my shoulders. "You can't worry about these things now, Sapphires. Worry about it when you get there." I said smiling and he forced a small nod. I put the cards back in the box and cleansed the deck before putting it in my satchel.

"The hamlet of Pincosta. Known for its warm smiles, hearty handshakes and world famous Pincostan Pecan Pie!" Rapunzel said said and Varian and I looked over to see Rapunzel and Cassandra talking. "What'd you do? Memorize the travel guide?" Cassandra asked and Rapunzel shrugged. "Only through the V's. That's why I wasn't very much help in Zuhlberg." Rapunzel said with a smile.