Dew

Tommy didn't do what Wilbur or Phil told him to do. Tommy was broken down and remolded into a high power fighter with boundless energy. Tommy couldn't sit still unless he was tied down, and to that end, Tommy could easily escape. They told him to be careful because his body was healing, but Tommy couldn't lay in that bed without a restlessness itching at his bones. Tommy was frequently found doing exercises around the room instead of resting. Someone had to stay in the room with Tommy for him to settle even a little. Wilbur had called him high maintenance, but the truth was that Tommy wasn't.

His wounds healed rather quickly and nicely. Tommy didn't need to eat and was often extremely quiet when no one was around. Tommy kept himself entertained, and would tell Wilbur every night that he was fine to go back to his house. Wilbur would constantly reply they wanted to wait until Tommy was completely healed. Tommy would roll his eyes or quip that Wilbur was overprotective, but he would stay until given permission to leave.

On the bright side, Sam and Fran often visited. Fran would prompt Tommy to lay in bed with her, acting like a warm stuffed animal that would lick his face whenever he started to drift into dark parts of his mind. Sam was good natured about it. He knew that Tommy probably cared more about Fran than him. That didn't stop Sam from conversing with Tommy. They had conversations that could last for hours, with Sam patiently listening to any and all ramblings that shot through Tommy's headspace.

That wasn't to say Tommy didn't tolerate Wilbur and his families company. Quite the contrary, Tommy enjoyed it. Wilbur and him would talk like always, but this time they would play solitaire or other card games. Phil would sit at his bedside with a book, softly reading it because it didn't take them long to realize Tommy's reading skills were basic. Techno had reluctantly told Tommy old myths and legends, and now, Techno would quiz Tommy on what he knew while they played chess.

It had been a few days when Niki arrived. She seemed distraught, but her smile was warm and her hug was tight when she saw Tommy. Niki sat on the bed with him, holding Tommy close like he would disappear. In soft whispers, she had berated him for his foolish actions and lovingly made it clear how proud she was of him. Niki even wiped Tommy's cheeks from the tears that had started to fall because Niki was being so motherly that it physically hurt him. Tommy felt his stomach coil painfully and his mind felt fuzzy from how hard he was crying, but Tommy would never shrug off Niki's hug because he desperately needed it.

"My sweet, little baby," Niki called him with as she tucked his head under her chin, rubbing circles on his back as he released pent up emotions. She didn't complain about the tears and maybe a little snot that soaked into her shirt.

When Tommy had settled, Niki pulled back so they could look each other in the eye. One hand was on his shoulder, and the other hand rubbed Tommy's cheek. Niki looked upset as she spoke up. "I have bad news. I don't want to tell you, but you have a right to know. You'll find out eventually. I'd rather it come from me."

Tommy anxiously gripped her hand as he waited for Niki to continue. She sighed, mustering up courage before looking him straight in his eyes. "You, Fran, Jack, and that Drunkard were the only people on that roof. Drunkard called the police to blame you jumping off to save Fran on Jack pushing you off and Fran trying to save you. Since you weren't available, they believed Drunkard over Jack. I have tried everything to get Jack out, but I can't hack the police database. It doesn't matter if Jack is proven guilty or innocent, this goes on his record, and it will ruin his life moving forwards. It's bad enough he has Mystic Eyes."

Tommy blinked. Some part of his brain wanted to laugh, the part telling Tommy it was a stupid joke. That immature part was silenced immediately by Tommy's rationality. Because- of course- Tommy's first friend and the man who never looked at Tommy like he was a vagabond, had been locked up on false premises by some pervert hotel owner who had tried to murder a dog in front of Tommy.

Niki seemed so upset. Tears had formed in her eyes. Tommy hated that. Niki had been warm and sweet to Tommy. His own mother had never been that way. She was...

"What if..." Tommy spoke instead of thinking more about that woman. "...there was a way for me to get you in?"

"Like a backdoor? There isn't any. I've checked for backdoors, side doors, even a cellar door," Niki laughed in frustration. Tommy shuffled away when he heard it. Niki looked surprised, but she didn't force the contact on Tommy.

"It's more like a... sneaking back into your bedroom window after curfew kind of entrance," Tommy relented with an odd metaphor. Niki raised an eyebrow. She had many questions. Her original goal echoed in her mind. She was there to gather information.

"You have to fucking swear to Prime, Niki, that you will not, under any circumstances, do more shit than help Jack," Tommy threatened with predatory eyes. It was moments like this that Niki realized how little she knew about her pseudo son. His past was mysterious, and his motives unclear. Niki had been wary the first instance she saw him like this, but now she wanted to hold him tighter to keep the bad moments of his life from reaching him.

"I swear to Prime that I will only help Jack," Niki promised. She probably shouldn't have done that, but the words were spoken and it was too late to change it. People like Niki were very keen on keeping their promises, and refused to break an oath under any conditions.

"Good. Now get me a laptop and we can fucking save Jack."