27

"i can stand up for myself, george."

"i know. but you shouldn't have to. and i could tell that you were trying to hold back and not ruin her experience— or whatever— meeting me. and i appreciate that."

"you know me too well."

"yes, it's rather unfortunate."

dream was there at the entrance to pick them up, and much to george and devyn's surprise, sapnap was there too.

"hi dickheads! did you have fun?"

"it was fun until like 20 minutes ago." they slid in the backseat, george holding the door open for her.

"what happened?" dream asked, sounding awfully dad-like.

"some girl came up to me saying she was a fan and just like straight-up insulted dev, it was literally so rude."

"damn," sapnap frowned, "what'd she say?"

"she was asking george who he was here with and george looked at me. then she was like 'oh her?' in this super bitchy tone and honestly it was kind of offensive. it's whatever."

"it's not whatever though. i think we should say something."

"it's fine, guys. just drop it." she shut her eyes and laid her head on george's lap.

sapnap turned around and gave george a look before looking down at the girl in his lap.

"is she okay?" he mouthed, pointing at her.

george pressed his lips together and shook his head. sapnap drew an imaginary tear falling down his face then turned back around to face the front.

dev kept her eyes glued shut as she tried to clear her mind. she never let anyone get to her, but the disgusted look on the girl's face was etched into her brain.

as soon as they got home, dev immediately went upstairs to the room her and george shared without a word to the dream team. george set their bags down and went to follow her, but dream put his arm out to stop her.

"think she needs some time, bud. let's think about what we're going to say, if we're saying anything at all."

george sighs, "if i'm being honest, i don't think we should say anything. that would just make it worse and cause people to dig into why we sent that tweet in the first place. they didn't post anything on social media so it's fine. and dev's tough, she'll be okay."

"are you serious, george? you're going to let your girlfriend get like, verbally assaulted and not do anything about it? you didn't even ask her what she wants to do," sapnap frowned.

"relax, nick. you don't know her like i do, she's fine. and making a statement would be worse, trust me."

"what is wrong with you? i don't know what she sees in you honestly, you're a dick," sapnap spat, shaking his head and going to his room before slamming the door.

"can you believe him?" george turns to dream, hoping that he would back him up.

"i'm staying out of this, you two are always getting into the dumbest fights and i'm sick and tired of it. but for the record, i really think you should go see if devyn's alright and ask her what she thinks."

"she's not an influencer like us, she doesn't know how to handle situations like this."

dream rolls his eyes. "i'm staying out of this. i'll be in my room. goodnight, george."

filling up a glass of water, george shuts the lights off before walking up to the bedroom.

"dev?"

a muffled yeah was heard from under the comforter, followed by a sniffle.

"are you crying?"

"no."

"somehow i don't believe you. i'm coming in."

he lifts the blanket off her, seeing her face down on the bed. george gently lays down next to her, moving the hair out of her eyes.

"hi."

"hi."

"you okay?"

"been better."

"i'm sorry. people can be such dicks sometimes."

"yeah."

"i don't think i'm going to say anything on twitter. i don't want to draw attention to it. i'm sorry."

"oh. ok. i get it. you have to uphold your image."

"i knew you'd get it. thanks, darling," he presses a kiss to her cheek.

as devyn turned to face away from him, she mutters, "goodnight, george."

she got it. he'd choose his image over her.

hi guys i'm back and george is a dum dum