Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Father and Son

   Asner's day of birth was both one of the happiest and saddest days of his life. Happy because he was a father and have a child. Sad and grieving because, a few moments after Asner has been born in this world, his wife passed away. Only leaving him with her son and the name that she has given to their child.

Ansell Graves wouldn't expect that he would become a widower. She has been healthy and in good condition. They have many plans for the future together and raising their son. It was crashed the moment that the doctor and nurses informed him that there are complications that happened during the birth of their son.

He could only enter the room. Watch his wife as she told him the name of their son. Hold his hand, smiling during her last moments, and fade away while saying "I love you." Her grip on him loosened. Tears started falling on his eyes as he heard the cries of their child in the background.

Soon, the news of her death reached their relatives and friends. Many acquaintances attended and offered him their condolences. Her parents also attended and offered to let them take care of their child if he can't.

Ansell could admit that he wavered on the offer. Looking at their child, remind him of her. It left him feeling cold and twisting his heart and wrenching it. So painful that he feels he wouldn't be able to bear with them. In the end, he refused the offer. He was certain that his wife wouldn't forgive him if let their child go. He wouldn't also forgive himself if he just let Asner be taken away by his grandparents. His wife has left him. He wouldn't also let his child be taken away from him too. Asner is the only one he has left.

--------------

Being a father wasn't easy. Raising a baby alone was more difficult. Searching the internet, buying handbook guides, and even asking for acquaintance advice– Ansell has done all of them. He wouldn't able to do his job and take care of Asner at the same time. He decided to inform his superior of his situation. Ansell was given a one-year leave and he could also come back to his job after that. The university would always welcome him back as he was their youngest and best professor in the University. He was also once upon a time one of their best and most talented students. Ansell was grateful for their consideration and the special favor that was given to him.

Ansell thought that it wouldn't be easy to raise his son. And it was been unusually proven to him. Asner rarely cries. It was only when he was hungry and excreted his waste that he cried. He expected his child to be fussier and like the other children, not like this quiet and behave. He was worried about his unusual behavior.

In the 4th month, he decided to have Asner consult with a pediatrician or an expert in their field. They discovered nothing on his son except much faster physiological advancement and faster mental development than the other children. They didn't find anything detrimental towards those things on his son.

They congratulated him. Ansell doesn't know if he should be more worried or be happy that his son would have a bright future ahead of him.

-----------------

  Ansell watched his son grow from an infant to a young child. Just as those experts said, he was more mentally advanced than the other children. Even it wasn't noticeable at first, it become more and more noticeable as he grows up.

After 1 year, Ansell has also gone back to his job as a professor in a university. He alternated between his son and his job. He doesn't need to work as he was a man who wasn't lacking in money. His wife's family is rich and the same could also be said for his parents. But teaching students was his passion. And being a teacher to guide students was his dream. It is also one of the ways for him to ease his pain and not be reminded of his dead wife.