Chapter 163

Jace had been discovered and sent back to the Institute by Clary.

He, now with his ring around his neck, stood with Alec and Serena in their office as they conversed with Meliorn.

"Clary Fairchild has committed an act of war," the Seelie raged.

"That was Jonathan's plan Mellie. Clary is under his control. Her actions are not her fault. You must see that," Serena urged.

"She killed multiple noble Seelies, much like the one rotting in your morgue."

"Oh, you mean the one that broke into our subcells on your Queen's command to commit murder?" Alec defended when another Seelie walked in, whispering in Meliorn's ear before leaving.

"It would seem my queen's ransom has finally been demanded. The time of the exchange approaches."

"Oh, let me guess. That demon wants the Morningstar sword? Shocker," Jace said sarcastically, and Serena shot him a look.

"Mellie, Jonathan cannot be allowed to get his hands on that sword. He'll destroy the entire world with it, the Seelie realm included. Nowhere will be safe," Serena promised.

"My apologies, Sweet Little Serena, but that blade and those who wield it are no longer of concern to us," he replied.

"Then just hold them long enough for Serena and us to get there with Glorious," Jace pleaded.

"Seelies can't lie. To double-cross would go against our nature," Meliorn explained to the youngest Herondale.

"Please," Jace begged. But before Jace could say anymore, Serena interrupted him.

"Meliorn, you owe me."

He inhaled.

"We can, however, be forgetful," he remarked. "Leaving entrances to the realm unlocked. Do with that what you will."

And the Seelie left.

Alec then turned to the twins.

"Let's do this. Gear up."