Chapter 164

We can finally restore the Morgenstern name," Clary announced as he held the blackened blade, glowing with hellfire into the air before dropping it and moving to her brother's side. Jonathan then let the Seelie Queen go, allowing her to go back to her people.

And as they rushed off, a voice from behind the siblings said, "You're not a Morgenstern. You're a Fairchild."

And Jace and his twin stepped onto the bridge.

"And a soon-to-be Herondale," teased Serena and her brother gave her a look that only made her smile as Clary held up the sword while Jonathan held up his blade.

"I told you what would happen if you got in my way again," she said threateningly to Jace and then she pointed the sword at Serena. "That goes for you too."

"Well, little sister, we're here for you, whether you like it or not," Serena smirked before she drew Glorious, the blade igniting with heavenly fire. "And now, you're not the only one with a cool sword."

Jace had his blade out, looking at Jonathan with a hateful glare as the older Morgenstern said, "I'll handle Jace. Have fun sister."

The two boys moved off the bridge and the two girls clashed.

The swords sparked as they collided, Serena pushing Clary off her and the redhead regaining her composure as she pointed the sword at her.

"I don't know whether to be honoured or offended, that you're trying to stab me and not Jonathan," she said as they moved towards the end of the bridge, opposite to the side the boys had left on.

"Try not to take it personally, Red."

And Serena flipped backwards off the bridge, landing and holding up the sword in time to block as Clary lunged at her, bringing down the Morningstar Sword.

That seemed to anger Clary. "I'm not your sister!" she yelled as she attacked with renewed vigour and Serena struggled a little to block her attacks.

Clary was pushing her sword towards Serena's face as she blocked it and Serena did struggle this time to fight against the demonic strength Clary had inherited from her brother as they battled through the woods.

"You're losing, Serena," Clary said arrogantly but the blonde just smiled.

"You think so?"

And Serena sang.

The sound blasted Clary backwards, the girl screaming in pain as she tried to cover her ears while still holding the sword.

And from the other side of the forest, you could hear Jonathan's echoing screams.

"Serena, stop!" called Simon's voice as he ran into the glade, Izzy along with him.

"Cheap shot, bringing my best friend, " Clary yelled as she regained herself, holding out the sword as Serena held up Glorious.

"It wasn't part of the plan," Serena assured her.

"I tried to stop him," Izzy muttered to her parabatai as Simon spoke to Clary.

"This is who I am," Clary said to the boy.

"You and I both know that's not true," Simon responded.

"Stand down! Or this kindjal finds its way into Simon," Clary threatened as she drew one of her blades, holding it out to Simon as her other hand held the sword.

Serena moved towards Simon, but he stopped her, looking at his best friend. "If you do that, Clary, that's a choice you're making. A choice you're going to have to live with every day for the rest of your life," Simon said taking a step forward towards the tip of the sword.

Then Jonathan called for Clary.

"Jonathan needs me," she said as she turned to run only to be held by Izzy's whip as she pulled the Morningstar Sword from her hands, the black blade wedging itself into the earth.

Jace then launched himself at her, Serena throwing him Glorious which ignited in his grip as he stabbed Clary with it.

Clary screamed as she fell to the floor, the heavenly fire coursing through her.

"JONATHAN!" she screamed out.

and when she finally stopped, and Jace withdrew the sword, he helped Clary to her feet, watching with relief as the twinning rune finally faded away.

"Are you...are you back?" Jace asked as he cupped her cheek and Clary smiled at him, a smile that looked as if she was about to cry.

But then something strange happened.

Jace held up the sword as it glowed and then dropped it with a grunt of pain as it burned his hand.

"It's gonna blow!" Serena yelled as Jace tackled Clary to the floor.

"Simon get down!" Izzy yelled as she did the same, Serena only running off as the blast pushed her into a tree and she fell to the floor, back aching.

She could feel the blood dripping down her skin from the piece of the sword that had wedged itself into her face, right above her cheekbone, but before she could remove it, Simon yelled, "Izzy! She got hit by shrapnel."

It was then that she realised that the pain in her back had been mirrored from her parabatai, not from her hitting the tree.

"Simon, don't touch her!" Serena yelled as she crashed to Izzy's side, Jace joining her as they pulled Izzy to her feet, the girl grunting in pain.

Jace looked gravely at his twin, "We gotta get her out of here."