Sixteen

Sixteen (Edited)

        I woke up drenched in sweat with my heart beating a million miles per second. Gathering all of the strength I could muster, I  push Colton and Caden's arms off of me and clamber onto the floor with a thud. The room suddenly feels stuffy so I run over to the big window and throw it open. A soft night ai breeze blows into my face and I do my best to calm down as I hear shuffling coming from behind me.

        "Please don't touch me. I need space," I tell them before my mates can get any closer. I know they're probably worried but I couldn't have them crowding me right now. What I just went through... was horrifying. I don't think I'll ever be able to erase the image of Caden and Colton's totally hopeless, totally defeated expressions. They will have to watch me and their child die if we don't change the path we're on- and they'll have to live with it forever.

        I begin to sob as I slowly slide to the white carpet floor. That can't happen- that cannot be our future. How do I stop it? Even if I can change it so it's only me dying I would be thankful.

        "Cassia, our love, please tell us what's wrong. Your heartbreak is so great that we can feel it in our own hearts," Colton mutters softly as they both kneel in front of me.

        "Our goddess, I met her," I finally manage to get out between sobs. Their eyes shine with confusion and they probably think I'm crazy.

        "What do you mean by that?" Caden asks, pushing some blonde hair that had fallen into my face away.

        A few minutes passed before the breakdown I was having came to a close. Launching myself into their arms, I explain all that happened in the Otherworld- who our wolves are, the vision, what the goddess has asked of us. There's a long stretch of silence afterword and we all hold each other while we think about the future.

        I am happy you know now, Zara says as I watch the sun rise over the mountain tops.

        I guess, I tentatively agree.

        There is strength in knowledge, Cassia. How about we go for a run? she unexpectedly asks.

        We can't shift though, remember? You're too weak, I remind Zara with a dejected sigh. I would love nothing better than to run.

        I am not too weak, that is something I told you so you would not try and shift into our wolf form. I made myself seem weak because if we were to shift then people would see our fur and start to ask questions.

        Seriously? And you couldn't even tell me, your other half, this important information? I would've respected your wishes and not shifted. You didn't have to go dormant and make me think there was something wrong with me! You'd think at least I'd be in on this little plan, but no. Instead I got to believe that there was something horribly wrong with my wolf for years.

        I am sorry, Cassia. It was the way it had to be, but it is all over now. We don't have time to dwell on the past and we must go on a run. I have somewhere we need to go- alone, she instructs and I wiggle out of my mates grasp then stand up. Although my wolf and I have a bit of a strained relationship, I still trust her to make good calls. So if she says we have somewhere we need to go, then you bet your butt I'm going to do my best to get us there.

        "I'm going to go and find Smith. You two go back to bed and I'll join you soon, okay?" I try and seem nonchalant with my words. If they sense even the tiniest bit of a lie I'll never get out of here.

        They simultaneously nod and I thank our goddess for the twenty minute head start for whatever Zara has planned. No doubt they're going to come look for me when I don't come back. Hopefully I've bought myself enough time.