Chapter 10

I wanted to run upstairs, I really did but as Charles was slowly walking towards me I couldn't move. I was stuck in place.

He started washing off my face from the layers of makeup.

"Now, was it so hard? No, it w-" he stopped in mid-sentence and his brows furrowed as he paid more attention to wipe off the makeup from my right cheek. He pressed harder noticing that the ugly purplish-brown color won't come off I winced and pulled back automatically. I could see his eyes going icy cold as he was looking with growing anger at the bruise.

"Who?" He asked in a quiet, deadly voice.

"Was it Brian?" Dan asked sharply.

I nodded. There was no point hiding it now.

"Who's Brian?" Andrew asked. He gently but firmly grabbed my chin and tilted it slightly to see my bruised cheek. I couldn't read anything from his expression. His eyes remained cold as always and I had no idea if he cares or not. I could see him picking up his phone and I watched confused as he was making a photo of my injury.

"Senior year, he's failing most of his subjects" Dan answered for me.

"Are you hurt anything else?"

I shook my head in denial. Please let this be over already.

"Can you take care of her cheek, Charles?"

"Sure"

Apparently, Charles received medical training when he was in the military. Because he suspected mild concussion he gave me painkillers and told me to let him know if my headache won't go away. He also applied some sort of cream to my cheek. It was pleasantly cold and had watery consistency.

"Done" my brother announced and clapped his hands "It's time to eat isn't it?"

Jacquline was already serving the food that had to be re-heated because of what happened at school. She was sending nervous glances towards me, I guess maybe she was hurt I didn't tell her that someone bullies me.

The atmosphere during our family meal was heavy, to the point where I wasn't sure if any actually enjoyed it.

"How did you know it was Brian?" Charles asked finally breaking the silence. I lifted my gaze from the chicken casserole, Charles wasn't speaking to me.

"I saw him bullying her" Dan responded.

"And you didn't do anything?" Charles asked in disbelief.

"I didn't know she's my sister back then," Dan said irritated.

"I will be visiting the school tomorrow" Andrew announced interrupting a heated exchange with his calm voice.

"I wish I could as well," Charles said darkly, I was glad he couldn't "Unfortunately my flight is already booked for tomorrow morning"

Max looked at his older brother unimpressed "You're barely back and already leaving?"

"What can I say they can't leave without me at the embassy I'm the center of entertainment"

"Like a clown"

"Look in the mirror and you will see how the clown looks like," Charles said bopping Dan's nose playfully. Max backed away disgusted.

"Fuck off"

"Max" the warning in Andrew's voice already sounded like a reprimand enough.

"Sorry, dad"

"Now, both of you" Charles pointed at Max and Dan and rudely "'If this boy will be walking tomorrow with face intact you're no longer my brothers," he said as if it was a warning.