New years

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for reading and commenting on these! I hope you guys enjoy!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya smiled as she brought the glass of sparkling apple juice up to her lips and took a sip. She wasn't a Champagne drinker, or any kind of drinker for that matter. So she liked to keep things light with a little sparkling of something that wasn't alcoholic.

It was New Year's Eve and she was stuck spending it here at the art gala in New York. Which wasn't too bad, she guessed. It was the opening of one of her pieces being shown for the first time. She had graduated college this past summer and the senior project she worked on through the year had been chosen of the thousands that had been submitted for the gala.

Although Maya had no idea that she was being submitted for the gala, it was a surprise that her art teacher did for her. So really she was here because she was forced to be.

Maya knew she shouldn't complain. This had been all she ever dreamed of for years. To be able to have her art shown at the biggest gala in New York City. But it just had to be on New Years.

Long story short: her and Josh had been planning for months to go to Philadelphia for New Years. It had been something that he had asked her to do during the summer. And for him to ask that far in advance, Maya knew it must have been special for him for some reason. So she said yes.

It seemed as if it had been a big deal for him because Maya learned rather quickly that the entire Matthews family was going to be there. Even family from out of town was coming in for the holiday after Christmas. But only because not everyone could get together for Christmas.

When Maya realized she would have to be here on New Years instead of In Philadelphia like they had planned, she dreaded having to tell Josh. She knew he wasn't going to like it.

She had tried every way in the world to get out of it. But this was a chance of a lifetime, and unfortunately if she wasn't there then the gala would refuse to show her work.

When she told Josh it just ended in a big fight, and they hadn't really spoken with each other since. It had been hard of course since Josh and Maya lived together, but he had taken off to Philadelphia early so he didn't have to see her.

Maya had been checking her phone every night, thinking that maybe he would call or even shoot her a text, but her phone had been empty. She sighed and placed it back in her purse as she took another sip of her sparkling juice.

Maya had spoken with Riley earlier that morning, who would have been there if she could, but couldn't because of her plans to be in Philadelphia with the rest of her family for holiday.

Riley told her that Josh didn't seem like he really wanted to talk about Maya. Whenever anyone asked, he changed the subject quickly.

Maya sighed, she had sent him a dozen text message apologizing, she tried to call him but he sent her straight to voicemail. She was starting to wonder if maybe she should have just said no to the gala and went to Philadelphia with Josh anyway. But this was her dream, Josh knew this.

"I thought this was supposed to be the happiest night of your life?" Farkle said as he came to stand next to her in his tux that he had rented for the occasion. Maya sighed.

"It would be if Josh was here." She told him. Farkle frowned at her.

"Is he still nor answering?" He asked. Maya shook her head. She tried hard to keep from seeming like she wanted to cry. But she felt tears brim her eyelids. Farkle put a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sure he'll come around." He told her. "Maya this is Josh we're talking about, he could never stay mad at you for long."

"Well he's been doing a pretty good job of it so far. It's been almost a week, Farkle. Maybe I shouldn't have come tonight, maybe Josh was right." Maya told him.