Sleep talking

New York was known as the City that never sleeps. No matter what time it was there were always people out and about doing stuff. Rather it was working or partying or visiting and sightseeing. It didn't matter.

Joshua Matthews laid in his bed at home staring at his wife who was sleeping soundlessly beside him. The window of their New York bedroom apartment was open so they could hear the distant honks of traffic going by. It was peaceful for the most part.

Josh grinned to himself as he listened to Maya mumbled out words in her sleep before tossing over to the other side of the bed. His side of the bed. She was a cover and a bed hog. She was also a cuddler. He remembered so many times when Riley had complained because Maya had either pushed her off the bed or rolled on top of her.

Josh didn't mind. He loved it when Maya was in a cuddling mood when she was awake. And when she was asleep and she did it unconsciously. It made Josh feel a sense of pride and confidence in knowing that Maya felt safe and secure when she was with him to be in his arms.

Maya rolled over to where she was practically laying on top of him. Her head rolled into his neck and her leg fitted itself between his. Her arm went across his chest. Josh wrapped an arm around her waist. His other hand came to brush lightly against her bare thigh, his fingertips barely touching her skin causing sensations to run through her body.

Maya shivered as she buried her face deeper into his neck. "Josh," She mumbled. "Feels good." Josh grinned slyly up at the ceiling as he continued to run his fingertips up and down.

Josh cherished nights like these. Nights where he could just hold his wife in his arms and listen to her subconscious empty itself. Usually, he was so caught up in his own dream world that he didn't hear her most of the time. The fan in the corner of their room helped drown out the sound of her mumbled speech.

But on nights like these, where his brain was too busy to shut down so he could sleep, those are the nights that he gets to listen and find material to tease her with in the morning. The banter of their relationship only leads them down further pleasantries of the morning.

Sometimes Maya said things that made perfect sense. And sometimes she said things that he could go his entire life trying to figure out and never being able to make sense of. Sometimes when he was feeling particularly devious, he could sit here and have conversations with her. Ask her things that her subconscious would answer and he would have even more power over her in the morning.

But most of the time he just liked to lay here and wonder how on earth he ever got so lucky to have the most beautiful girl in all of New York laying here in his arms. What things he had done in his lifetime to please God that He would give Maya Hunter to him.

"No, Riley," Maya mumbled again. "No... Yes... no... maybe... ask Josh." Josh laid there, amused at the dream that Maya was apparently having. He had wondered often what crazy things her subconscious put into her head during the night.

In the first few weeks of their marriage, he would ask her if she remembered what she dreamt about. Only to have her answer be most of the time that she didn't remember. Josh may not believe her if she didn't bug him so much during the following days by asking whatever it was that she talked about in her sleep.

Riley had warned him many times about the sleep talking within the first few weeks of their dating relationship. Something that she had found to be incredibly annoying about Maya. But Josh had found it to be incredibly adorable.

"Josh." Maya let out a breathless whine as she ran her nose up the side of his neck before laying her head back down. "I love you so much." Her tone was incredibly vulnerable when she said it. Josh felt his heart contract. It was amazing, incredible really. How he could think that there was no possible way he could fall even more in love with her than he already is, and somehow he still does.

Josh pulled her even closer as he glance down at her as best he could. Her eyes were still closed and her mouth was slightly opened. Josh leaned down and brushed his lips across her forehead before closing his eyes and letting his own mind fill with nothing but thoughts about the blond beauty laying in his arms.
________________________________________________________________________________