Cheating

Everyone relax. It's just a one shot. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya leaned her head against the bed frame as she was sitting with her legs stretched out on the bed. Her jaw was clenched as she listened to her best friend cry. Riley was laying with her head on Maya's lap as Maya ran her fingers through her hair in a soothing manner.

Lucas and Riley had been having issues for the past few months. Always fighting, never agreeing. They had been growing distant and everyone in their lives could tell. Maya watched on in concern as she wondered when the inevitable breakup was going to happen. She just never thought it would be this way.

"I'm sorry," Riley sniffed. "You should be getting ready to go out with Josh." Her voice was heartbreakingly shaking.

"Josh will understand." Maya told her. She had grabbed her phone and was about to text her boyfriend to cancel their plans when Riley shook her head.

"No. Please, I want you to go." Riley said. Maya frowned down at her.

"Riles, I'm not leaving you here alone." Maya said softly.

"She won't be alone." Maya looked up and saw Topanga standing in the doorway, a sad smile on her face. "I won't let her."

Maya looked down and Riley nodded her head before she moved to sit up in the bed instead of laying on Maya. Maya bit her lip as she watched Riley try to dry her eyes, ignoring the fresh tears that came down.

"You wouldn't have left me." Maya told her. Riley cracked a half-hearted smile.

"If it were you I'd be too busy killing Josh to be comforting you." Riley joked, her nose all stuffed up from crying. Maya sighed.

"I tried to kill Lucas. Would have succeeded, too, if Zay hadn't pulled me off." Maya reminded her.

"And I love you for it." Riley told her. "Now I want you to go be with Josh." Maya stated at her for a moment before nodding. She got up from the bed and Topanga took her place.

Hesitantly, Maya grabbed her things and made her way out of the Matthews apartment. She texted Josh to let him know she was on her way to the park and she would meet him there.

It hadn't been a good day, not at all. Maya had made a scene on campus when she punched Lucas in the face after everything had been revealed. Zay pulled her off of him before she could do any more damage than she already had.

She got in trouble with campus police, thankfully she basically got a slap on the wrist and a warning. Lucas had told them it was a big misunderstanding and there was no reason to pursue it further. Maya just scowled at him, not even bothering to thank him for not pushing it.

Riley had packed her things and said she was going home for the weekend so she wouldn't have to face Lucas. Maya obviously went with her. Zay stayed back with Lucas and Farkle had been texting to check in and see how Riley was. Rather or not he'd been doing the same with Lucas, Maya wasn't sure. Nor did she ask.

Maya got to the park and immediately saw Josh sitting on a bench waiting for her. He had one coffee in his hand and another one sitting beside him. Maya smiled as she made her way towards him. Josh got up from the bench when he saw her and met her half way.

Josh handed her coffee to her, Maya took it with her left hand. As soon as she had it, Josh grabbed her right hand and brought her bruised knuckles up to his lips and kissed them gently.

"Hows Riley?" He asked.

"A mess." Maya replied. "Topanga's with her. They insisted that I come hang out with you instead of staying there."

"How's your hand?" He asked, this time an amused expression on his face. Maya rolled her eyes.

"Throbbing." She complained. Josh gently rubbed them with his thumb.

"I really should teach you how to punch." He said more to himself than to her. Maya glared at him.

"I know how to punch. Lucas just has an incredibly rock hard face." She spat out bitterly. The corner of Josh's mouth twitched up. "I can't believe he would ever do something like this to Riley." Mayas tone was suddenly somber.

"Did he give an explanation?" Josh asked. Maya scoffed and gave him a look. Josh out put his hands up defensively. "Not that there ever could be one to justify cheating." She sighed and shook her head.

"Not one worth repeating. He said that they were growing further apart and the date was just supposed to be a friendly one and ended up turning into much more." Maya said. "He felt guilty and wanted to tell her before she heard it from someone else." Maya said the last part sarcastically.

"And to think, you could have ended up with him." He meant it as a joke, but Maya didn't seem to find it amusing in the slightest. He dropped the light hearted attitude and took a sip of his coffee.

"She's real deal hurting Josh. And I don't know how to help her." Maya ran her hand through her hair, only wincing slightly as her knuckles jolted.

"You already are." He told her softly.

"It just seems wrong." Maya said in a frustrated tone. "For me to be here with you. Enjoying my time with my boyfriend while my best friend is crying her heart out over hers."

Josh put his finger under Maya's chin and raised it so she would look at him. He leaned down and kissed her gently. Maya leaned further up on her tiptoes to press harder before he moved back.

"If roles were reversed you would want Riley to do the same thing." Josh said.

"If roles were reversed, you'd be dead." Maya smiled slightly, remembering what Riley said earlier. Josh broke in a huge grin.

"Well it's a good thing you don't have to worry about that ever, now isn't it?" He asked playfully sarcastic. Maya leaned up and kissed him again. "Come on," he said as they broke away. "I did ask you to meet me out here for a reason."

"Oh yeah?" Maya asked as Josh wrapped an arm around her shoulders and they started waking along the park.

"Yeah. I figured we could go to the store. Get some of Riley's favorite things. You know her a lot better than I do. Snacks, drinks, chocolate, ice cream." He listed off.

"You're really covering the basis, huh?" Maya asked as she beamed up at him. Josh shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't really know what girls do when they get cheated on. I only have horrible chick flicks to go off on." He said. Maya snorted.

"You're sympathy for your niece is just astounding." Maya said sarcastically. Josh was quiet for a moment.

"I want to be there for Riley. I really do." He said. "But fawning over her like you and Topanga are already doing isn't going to help. What I would really like to do is punch Lucas, but you already beat me to that." Maya nudged his shoulder with hers. "Think of this as me contributing." Josh said.

"By putting her in a sugar coma." Maya answered. Josh bit his lip as he looked over at her from the side. Maya already had her face turned towards him.

"By helping her get her mind off of it. Or getting her to vent. Whichever one the two of you end up doing tonight." He said. Josh leaned down and kissed her again. "As much as I would love for you to spend the weekend with me, I'm not going to keep you from Riley. Not when she needs you most."

"Now that is a sexy trait, Joshua Matthews. Your selflessness is one of the things I love about you most."

"Then we have that in common." He told her with a sly wink. Maya rolled her eyes just as Josh took his arm off her shoulders and grabbed her hand. He pulled her towards him, careful not to make her spill her coffee. "You're selflessness is the reason I fell in love with you. And still falling more and more every day."

Maya leaned in one more time to give him a more lasting kiss. She pulled back and grabbed his hand again. "Come on," she said. "I know the perfect thing to get Riley."
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I already did a one shot a while ago about Joshaya cheating. So I didn't want to do the same thing for this one. But I hope you enjoyed.