Chapter 83

Esmeray immediately got off of Klaus's lap, and the two rushed to her side.

"What is it?" asked the werewitch, feeling her forehead for a temperature. "What do you feel?"

"I dreamt about a bad man," she said, taking Klaus's hand. "He was hurting these kids, and I think he hurt me, too. I feel... dizzy. And my head hurts."

She swayed, and Klaus caught her just as a bit of blood started to drip from her nose. "Hayley!" he called, picking her up and setting her down on the couch.

Esmeray took her hand, trying to sense specifically for a magical illness. And when she did, she tensed, squeezing Hope's hand tightly before she looked up at Klaus.

"What is it?" he asked as Hayley came running, seeing Hope was now shivering. "What is the matter with her?"

"She's got dark magic inside of her," said Esmeray slowly. "It feels... familiar, almost. But also like nothing I've ever felt before. Cold. Dark. Empty."

Freya confirmed this when she came to check on Hope as well. "Cold," she murmured. "But how did she contract this—?"

"I don't know," said Hayley worriedly, holding Hope's head on her lap. "She's never been sick, ever."

There was a rustling noise, and Hayley sat up, pulling a paper out of her pocket, reading it quickly as Elijah came into the room. "It's from Vincent Griffith. He knows what's wrong with Hope, he can cure her. But we have to go back to New Orleans."

"Then we shall go," said Elijah.

Klaus made to argue, but Esmeray held up her hand. "We know it's dangerous, but Elijah and I want to be there to support you and Hayley. Come on. Let's get going."

Hayley picked Hope up as they went out to the car, with Elijah climbing into the driver's seat. Klaus got in beside him, while Hayley and Esmeray kept Hope between them. The werewitch was doing spells to soothe her, lulling her to sleep so that she could rest on the ride there.

"Our home," muttered Klaus distastefully as they entered the Compound. "Once the pride of our family, now a flophouse."

"Indeed, the mighty have fallen," said Elijah as Hayley and Esmeray carefully set Hope on the couch in the courtyard.

"Where's Vincent?" asked Hayley nervously.

"Right here," they heard him say as he came up to them hurriedly. "Kept my word. Now the only question is whether or not you guys are gonna keep yours. As soon as I'm finished healing your kid, you got to leave the city."

"Wll, we're not gonna stay, are we?" said Klaus. "Your city has lost its charm."

"Hey," said Esmeray, raising her eyebrows at him.

Klaus relented. "Please," he said weakly. "Help her."

Vincent moved toward Hope, looking over her pale face before holding up his hands, clapping them together. "Nettoyer timoun sa a," he whispered, "Nettoyer timoun sa a..."

Esmeray watched intently, wanting to memorize it so that she could perform the same spell in case it happened again. Hope gave a gasp after about the fifth time Vincent chanted, sitting up and looking at Hayley. "Mom?"

"That's it," said Vincent as Hayley ran to embrace her daughter. "Your little girl's purified."

"Thank you," said Klaus, putting his arm around Esmeray and kissing her head, seeing that Hope did look better.

"Now, look, the only gratitude I need from any of you is seeing you leave the city," said Vincent. Behind him, Hayley pulled Hope to her feet. "Go see your daddy."