Chapter 53 - CatCo

"Kara... I.. I'm so sorry." Lena says, reaching her hand out and placing it on one of Kara's legs, attempting to comfort her girlfriend.

Kara however flinches away from Lena's touch and stands up. This action from Kara does hurt Lena, as it feels like Kara doesn't find comfort in her touch, or just her presence. But Lena doesn't hold it against her girlfriend, she knows that the news of CatCo ceasing to exist at the end of this week, is a major blow to the Kryptonian.

"I... I have to go...." Kara says, tears now running down her face.

"Kara.." Lena attempts to call out, standing up as well, following Kara towards her office doors.

Kara stops in place for a second, before then turning her head back around, looking over her shoulder.

"I need to be alone... I'm sorry." Kara says to Lena, and then leaves the office.

Lena's heart hurts for multiple reasons now. Firstly, Lena's heart hurts for Kara, because of course she wants her girlfriend to have the world, and seeing her hurt or upset hurts Lena too. Then secondly, Lena's heart is hurt because of the fact that Kara has said that she needs to be alone, without even trying to talk through it with her. Of course, Lena does understand that there are some people that need to have alone time, just to process things, and that is totally okay. But in those situations, and in those relationships, before that alone time happens, Lena feels it is important for the person who needs that time alone just to have a quick conversation with their partner, just to let them know where their head is at. But Lena just puts this down to something she needs to talk to Kara about later, when she is in a better frame of mind, as Lena isn't going to take personal offense to this, and blow up her relationship with Kara as a result of it. If Lena has learnt anything over the last few weeks, it is that communication while in a relationship is the single most important thing, as without communication, then it ends up with people getting hurt.

Once Kara has left, Lena takes a few moments, just to gather herself, and put herself in a better frame of mind, knowing that she has to get back to work. After a few minutes, Lena takes out her phone, and decides to send Kara a text, as due to their lunch ending abruptly, they didn't actually get to make plans as to when they would be seeing each other again.

Lena (to Kara): I hope you feel better soon. And I am so sorry that this is happening. I know how much you love CatCo.

Lena: Can I come over later this evening? After I have finished work.

Lena puts her phone away, not expecting Kara to reply to her anytime soon. For now, Lena just wants to focus on her work, just as a distraction so that she isn't thinking about Kara.

Lena takes a deep breath, and then steps outside her office. To Lena's surprise, both Jess and Sam are already back, sitting at Jess' desk, talking to one another. As Lena looks at her two co-workers, she can tell that they obviously saw Kara's upset look as she left Lena's office.

"Lena!" Sam says, quickly standing up and moving over to the brunette. "Is... is everything okay? We saw Kara leave looking like she was crying."

Lena sighs.

"Kara just got news that the CatCo board have decided that as of Friday, they are going to be dissolving the company." Lena explains.

"Oh." Sam replies, a look of sympathy on her face.

Jess now approaches Lena and Sam.

"Is she concerned about getting another journalist job or something?" Jess asks.

"No." Lena says, shaking her head. "Kara loves working at CatCo. The place really means a lot to her. It was her sort of first real job after all, and it has a lot of sentimental value for her."