Chapter 6

"That was banger dude!"

"Awesome battle. You're freaking strong!"

"Battle me too!"

"Trip was destroyed in seconds!"

All sorts of comments were passing onto Ash who was just nervously nodded and smiled them away. He finally made his way to the stands where his two friends were seated. And both of them still haven't moved an inch after the battle.

"Umm...hello?" Ash called, but no response. He suddenly saw the familiar look in Barry's eyes and wondered where he had seen it before.

"Oh...Barry don-

"SENSEI!"

The blonde once again screamed and fell to his knees while Ash cringed a bit.

"Looks like I have a tough competition now," said Nate as he stood up. "You had us completely on the edge man," he said, lightly punching his shoulder.

"Is that so? Looks like Trip wasn't really much of a battler," said Ash in a casual manner, as his friends shot him dead looks.

"Are you freaking joking right now? Trip is definitely one of the strongest in the third year. Even if he didn't take you seriously, actually beating him to a match is insanely..." Barry blabbered on before Nate stopped him.

"Yeah, I think he gets what you mean," said Nate with a chuckle and looked at Ash.
"Thing is, this is most probably the first time Trip lost to a junior, not to mention the utter humiliation. This is definitely going to stir the air around a bit. And what's more, even Paul was interested in your match, which hardly ever happens. So watch your back," he said in a considering tone.

'So basically, I just brought myself more attention by battling him? Guess I should've gone more easy on him or something. I even revealed one of my strongest pokemon...'  thought Ash with a frown.

'Well no point thinking back on it now. Guess I'll take on Nate's advice.'

"I'll be fine. Besides, you two will help me right?" asked Ash with a smile. Nate and Barry looked at each other before breaking into a grin.

"Course man. We got your back," said Barry.

"Yeah. And in exchange, you definitely need to give us some tips too," said Nate with a chuckle.

"Sure," said Ash, a bit relieved to have someone to relay on.

And so, after the certain turn of events began a new bond of friendship between the three of them.

***

After parting from Nate and Barry who went back to their dorms, Ash headed out of the gym as well. As he was about to walk away, a familiar voice stopped him in his tracks.

"Heyyy wait up!"

Not as soon as he turned around, he was tackled to the ground by that person.

"Hey! Watch where you are-"

"Hehe...sorryy," the mischievous voice of Leaf apologized as she helped pull the boy to his feet.

"Surprised to see you here. Any reason?" asked Ash as he dusted himself. Leaf pouted.

"Do I need a reason to see my boy...I-I mean... friend? " she replied, intentionally slipping up.

"Yes?"

"No!"

"O...kay?"

"Jeez, you're such a dummy. Anyways, I saw your battle," said Leaf with a whistle.