Chapter 32

•Nolani•

Dimitri falls over gasping, blood pooling under him at a rapid pace. I quickly jump up and grab the gun from his holster before running out of the room. My heart pounds against my ribs, silent tears trickling down my cheeks as I try my best to ignore the severe pain in my stomach but each step I take makes me want to scream. It hurts so bad. I frantically glance around the hallway, unsure of how to get out of this place since I wasn't awake when I was brought in. To the right is two more doors identical to the one I just exited and a dead end, to the left is a staircase with a door at the top.

Am I in a basement?

A wave of nausea hits me and I grow lightheaded out of no where. I squeeze my eyes closed, my hand finds the wall so I don't fall over in a heap on the floor. The pistol feels heavier in my grasp than it should and panic sets in as I realize I'm probably close to passing out. Now is not the time, I have to get out of here. I can still save my babies, I can. I open my eyes and release my grip on the wall, determination forcing my feet forward. With the gun extended in front of me I take a deep breath and ascend the stairs quietly. I wince when one of the steps creaks loudly but keep moving on wobbly legs. I'm terrified they're going to give out and I'll tumble back down to the bottom but I try not to think too much about it.

A  sharp exhale whooshes from my lungs in relief when I make it to the landing. My hands shaky as I reach out and grasp the doorknob, all I can hear is the pounding of my heart in my ears when I slowly turn the knob and ease the door open. I peek around the doorway to see if the room is clear and thankfully it is, but I know whoever was watching on the cameras seen me kill Dimitri so it can't be this easy. With sweat trickling down my spine I step into the hallway that's identical to the one downstairs except the doors look normal and the end leads to what looks to be a living room. The house is silent, not so much as a breeze piercing the air which only makes me more nervous than I already was, they'll easily hear me.

My bare feet dig into the dirty carpet as an intense pain suddenly rips through my stomach and pulses across my lower back. I grit my teeth, biting back a scream at the sensation. A whimper falls from my lips as I turn toward the living room and inch closer to what I pray is freedom. I'm pretty sure that was a contraction and it terrifies me but I ignore it the best I can.

The sound of door opening behind me has me freezing. A man shouts in Russian and I spin around, my stomach plummeting as he flashes me a predatory smile. With the gun still extended in front of me I point it directly at him, my hands shaking horribly. Shit, I may miss if I try shooting him but I'll do my best, whatever it takes to keep him from harming me. My arms are almost too weak to hold the gun up but I force myself, my babies motivating me to get the hell out of here as fast as I can.

"How did you get out?" He asks with the tilt of his head through a thick Russian accent.

I don't say anything as I take a few steps back toward the living room behind me, trying my best to listen to my surroundings so I don't get surprised from behind while also watching him carefully.

He takes a step toward me and I try to steady my hand that's holding the gun so he knows I'm serious about shooting him.

"Stay there or I'll shoot." I demand quietly.

"You shouldn't be handling a gun in your condition, let me have it so no one gets hurt." He says in a patronizing tone.

My condition? I'm pregnant that doesn't make me unable to handle a gun, I think but can't seem to form the words out loud. Fear must have stolen my tongue.

He takes a quick step toward me and I squeeze the trigger before he can touch me. The sound of the gun going off in the small hallway makes my ears ring but I don't cover them.